Search

Mkhaya Game Reserve

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 02:25 PM
judith

Mkhaya Game Reserve

We are going to Swaziland in early October. We are considering a safari in Swaziland. Wonder if anyone has had any experience with Stone Camp in Mkhaya Game Reserve.

Old May 2nd, 2003, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also looking for information on Mkhaya. Anyone been there?
Old May 5th, 2003, 12:37 PM

We have been there now...what do you want to know, Judith
Old May 6th, 2003, 03:04 AM

Rubytwo,
I'm looking for information on Mkhaya. Would you recomend it? Is one night there enough? How long of a drive is it from the border? How was the food? Thanks.
Old May 6th, 2003, 10:27 AM

We stayed two nights. The accomodations were quite nice, not plush, but nice. You are met at the gate the day you arrive and immediately go on a 2 hr game drive.then back for lunch...and then there is one at dusk and one the next morning about 6..so you would get three if you stayed just overnight. You can also go on walking tours. The food was fine. There is a bar so you can get wine or drinks if you wish. Food is sort of buffet syle..salad, meat, potatos, rice, dessert. We had impala meatballs one night..very good. It is not fancy, but I thought it was fine. I was not looking for gourmet food. It is not fancy..but filling.
The reason we chose it was because Mkhaya is not a Disneyfied safari. There are only two landrovers..and you don't find 10 others surrounding whatever animals you find. However, they don't have lions there..which didn't bother me, but may you. As I recall, it is about 4 hours from the border. We went from Mbabane..so I am guessing here. Finally, the landrovers are pretty rough...this is not cushy..but I really felt as if I were in Africa and not here in the States at Busch Gardens (which is quite close to my house!)