Search

Help with alternative camp in Masai Mara

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with alternative camp in Masai Mara

Hi,

We have just about finalized our honeymoon safari to Kenya in september. However in the Masai Mara, we wanted to go to little governors - but it looks like both it and the main camp are fully booked on our days. Our TA is suggesting Kichwa Tembo (main camp - can't afford the upgrade to Bateleur).

In reading through the reviews on Kichwa Tembo Main Camp on this board have been from marginal to great. Would anyone care to share their experience or suggest any alternatives (with the mid range price range of Kichwa or Little governors)?

Thanks in advance and this site is great for all the info on it and how active the boards are.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 01:21 PM
sandi

I gather you're traveling during the migration period, so you're going to find space limited and prices for camps relatively high.

There are few properties - lodges/camps - inside the Mara Triangle, so if Main or Little Governor's not available and their Il Moran is as expensive as Bateleur, choices are limited to areas adjacent to the Triangle. Others inside the Triangle as Explorer, Rekero, Intrepids or Naibor are all expensive.

Those at mid-price are Fig Tree, Basecamp, Ileliani, the new Tipilikwani, or Sarova. Outside, but nearby are Porini Lion, Olonana or Serian(both expensive), Siana Springs, maybe Elephant Pepper. There are others are further outside, such as Kicheche, Mara Safari Club, Leleshwa or Sekenani.

All depends on what is available and your budget.

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 03:23 PM

I cannot believe that you would not be satified with Kichwa, I have been going there for the last 4 years and already have reservations for September, I love the camp and the help is outstanding, including the guides. Unless you are really really,looking for a posh accomidations you must try this camp. Good Luck
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:05 PM
santharamhari

Serian, i am told comes with a private vehicle for your safari. You might want to do that considering you are on honeymoon.

Hari

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Everyone - thanks for the responses. I think we are going to give it a go at Kichwa Tembo.

Hari - we are doing a private safari for all our other stops in kenya on this trip (amboseli, tsavo and samburu) except at the Masai Mara

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:56 PM
santharamhari

What i meant by private vehicle at Serian- with any booking at Serian, the party get their own vehicle.

So, you can stay out for as long as you want to in the bush.......

There is a strong emphasis on game viewing and guiding and is very high on my wish-list.

Rgds,
Hari

Old Mar 7th, 2007, 06:11 AM
zib

Just returned! We really liked Kichwa Tempo!! Great service, nice tents and good food.
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Hi. I have only been to one camp in the Mara, Elephant Pepper camp. I haveto say that they were the friendliest and we loved our guide.

Here is the link if you want to check them out:
http://www.chelipeacock.com/camps/e-pepper.htm

Congratulations and have a great honeymoon.