Search

Where are the hides?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Where are the hides?

I read the thread about game viewing from camp but I'm wondering how many camps have hides that are close to the animals. I know they have a two story hide at the water hole at Mashatu. The viewing window on the bottom floor is at ground level and the upper floor is probably 6 or 8' above ground. The elephants were a few feet from my camera lens there. What other camps have a hide really close to the water?

I still haven't decided where to go this year and I want to go the last week of August and I don't want to spend more than $500-$600 max per night single. And I don't want to wait until the last minute to make plans (ha!ha!).
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 02:01 PM
bwanamitch

sundowner,

Try these:
www.savuticamp.com
www.kaingo.com

Mitch

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sundowner

Check out my current report thats two thirds finished, specifically about Kings Pool.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:06 PM

Sundwoner

Thought some more, the WS camps in the Linyanti all seem to have hides. Kings Pool has two that sit on the river (one is where Livingston crossed the Linyanti) which are about eight to ten feet above ground. Savuti has similar.
Also Makanyane in Madike has a raisewd hide overlooking a water hole, where you can even sleep out. I think you may be able to do overnighters at the WS camps.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:23 PM

Sundowner,

For hides, I don't think there is anywhere quite like Kaingo in South Luangwa, especially in high season when you will be able to take advantage of the Carmine Bee Eater Hide and the Last Watering Hole (Mwamba) Hide. Also, the Hippo Hide, while it was fascinating for my June visit last year, would be outstanding in September or October.

It was a very hard decision not to include Kaingo or Mwamba in my South Luangwa itinerary this year, but I grudgingly did in order to visit Puku Ridge and Luangwa River Lodge. As I have maintained, there are just so many great places to choose from in South Luangwa that it is never an easy choice.

www.kaingo.com/hippopage.htm
www.kaingo.com/elephantpage.htm
www.kaingo.com/carminepage.htm
www.kaingo.com/mwambahidepage.htm
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 07:56 AM

Sundowner

Just saw Elke's pictures of Elephants from the Kings Pool hide, check them out when they are posted, they really show how close we were.