Search

Cairo to Sharm El Sheik

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 07:16 PM
BBQ

Cairo to Sharm El Sheik

How long does it take to travel by train or bus from Cairo to Sharm El Sheik?<BR><BR>Has anyone stayed at the Carlton-Ritz hotel in Sharm? How was it ?<BR><BR>Any other hotel recommendations or things to do ?

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 07:36 PM
BBQ

One more question about the trip.... If I can't get a flight or train to get me there when I want to travel, <BR><BR>Where or how does one hire a car to take them from Cairo to Sharm El Sheik? I do NOT want to rent a car. I want to be driven, but in a safe car with a safe driver - not a service taxi.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 12:32 AM
tarek

You'd definitely be better off flying. You might get better deal on plane tickets if you buy them before you get to Egypt.<BR>Otherwise, there are buses (GreyHound style). Neither the fastest (7 or 8 hours vs 5 hours by car) nor the most comfortable way. <BR>As for hiring a car with a driver, your hotel can most probably arrange that for you. If you ask for a "Limousine" you'll probably get a Mercedes with a driver. Don't expect it to be much cheaper than flying.<BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 05:55 PM
alia

BBQ<BR>hi<BR>i would also recommend flying, aside from comfort it is cheap. i don't know about foreigner but for Egyptians it is about 300 Eg pounds which is less than 70$ also it is just 45 min away from cairo by plane. a car is uncomfortable and i would not trust a driver on this road. it is almost 7 hrs drive and there are no decent stops on the way. i do not know that there are any trains from cairo to sharm but i am not sure. <BR>sharm is packed with hotels. if u want to be close to the action, u would want to stay in neama bay. it has many nice hotels including marriott, sheraton, movenpick and hilton. however the more luxurious hotels are 15 mins away from this bay like hyatt regency, those hotels usually have a shuttle bus to the bay but the last one leaves at 10 PM. so it is a sort of trade off. <BR>have a nice time

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 06:50 AM
gail

I also would vote for flying. Believe it or not, EgyptAir is a fine airline. Very new planes, efficient service, odd food. We were apprehensive and skeptical, but flew on 4 "within Egypt" flights last spring plus 2 trans-Atlantic with them and have no complaints.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Joan

Seems to me that flying on egypt air might be kind of risky right now.<BR><BR>Remember that flight 990 awhile back that crashed in the atlantic going from NYC to Cairo? Someone mentioned on another thread that it seems an egypt air pilot deliberately crashed the jet. Terrorism is bad enough, but when the pilots themselves are jihadis that's even worse. Not to mention the massacre of dozens and dozens of european tourists at luxor a couple of years ago by islamic terrorists.<BR><BR>Anyway, if you do decide to go, good luck and take care.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 10:42 AM
DeborahW

I have stayed at the Ritz-Carlton in Sharm and enjoyed it very much. It depends on what you are looking for -- if you want shopping, nightlife and such, you should stay in Neama Bay. If you are more interested in snorkling and/or diving, go for a hotel outside of Neama Bay. The Ritz-Carlton is right on a reef wall and you can walk right off the beach to snorkel on the reef wall. They also have a very good dive shop and you can dive right off their beach. By the way, the Star of Sinai is a very basic restaurant in old Sharm, but their seafood is excellent!

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 04:31 AM
an egyptian

Joan<BR>no one knows for sure what happened to the flight that u mentioned. but no one here believes the story that the media fabricated that the pilot committted suicide. the translation from the black box was faulty. at best it is an opinion with no evidence to support it. this case has not been solved and if u don't want to fly egyptair for this reason of course u r entitled but i would not believe anything that is said in this forum until i check.<BR>

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Rosemarie

Hi<BR><BR>Went to Sharm past April and stayed at the Hyatt and it was a breathtaking hotel, not a highrise, a very lowrise looking out to the Red Sea. I flew from Cairo to Sharm. While in Sharm you may want to take the three hour drive to St Catherine's Monestary where you can climb to the top of Mt Sinai. Talk about an adventure. You must be physically fit and up for the 2am hike where you will travel the camel path then take the 750 steps up to the summit. Takes abut 2 1/2 hours to climb up and one word of caution, do down the same way not the so called "short cut" that is very dangerous all rocky mountainous terraine.<BR>Anwywas i traveled all over Egypt and that was the the most memorable part of the trip, it would be a shame to miss it if you are so close in Sharm<BR>great travels