Search

Moru area bookings feb 2006

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moru area bookings feb 2006

Hi guys, No bookings campsite/lodges moru area in serengeti in feb. Any ideas???
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 08:32 AM
bat

sonali:
Is there anything in the serenera valley? If not can you stil get 5 days with EMC?
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi Bat, I think 5 nights in EMC would be quite alot, since the best game drive is close to the area u are living, and 5 nights would exhaust all the routes. I am not sure. What is your opinion???
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Yes the bookings are available, maybe I would have to shift the dates or make 4 nights instead of 5, I have not yet confirmed, but I can only do that once I have my moru and seronera accomodation sorted out. U are lucky to be going to ndutu lodge in feb. What dates are u there??? and what is your itiernary like???
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 09:01 AM
bat

sonali: Eben is the expert (sandi would know also)--I was thinking that you might be able to do a couple of long full day drives into the valley to mix things up from the Ndutu base. (If you decide to do that make sure you have unlimited mileage in your agreement.) My understanding is that if you had to pick only one location for Feb it would be the Ndutu area--which is where EMC is, I believe.

When you said there was nothing at Moru--is there nothing in all of the valley? I know that it has been booked--I think the question would be if you could get a cancellation.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 09:15 AM
bat

sonali:
I am not staying at Ndutu lodge I am staying at Nomad's seasonal camps near Ndutu and Piaya. I also have 2 nights camping in the serenera valley at a camp called Ronjo--not sure what exact campsite it is [but I am sure that Eben knows!]
These 7 nights of camping are preceded by 2 nights at lodges on the crater and 2 nights at a permanent tent camp called Olduvai. The trip is the first 2 weeks of Feb.

I do not think that it is critical that you be at Moru--if you can get something in the serenera valley that with EMC near Ndutu would be a good combo, I believe.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Well my outfitter,is trying to get accomodation around moru for anything that is available. I just can't wait for him to get back to me. Right now it is difficult but he will work out something. Also I know the staff at seronera wildlife lodge, so I think bookings overthere would not be sooo difficult. But u never know. Sunny safaris is doing my bookings.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 09:25 AM
bat

sounds good.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Wow your trip sounds great. I am green with envy. I think in piaya u can do night game drives. What is the main activity near olduvai camp??? The name suggests that it must be near the historical remains of primitive homo sapiens (us). How many times have u been to the serengeti??? or northern tanzania?? Have u been to ngorogoro before???
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:28 PM
sandi

bat, was right on re possible "waitlists" but at this late date, the fact that you can get space at EMC, go for it. Though most of the "waitlists" should have (or will soon be) released.

Definitely check with your outfitter if they have mileage limits. If they don't, you should be able to go out on day drives in all directions.

But, something to remember - the wildebeests can actually be anywhere from the Southeast to Centra/Seronera in February. One year (I believe 3-years back) the herds never even made it down to the Southeast Serengeti. And from Eben's reports, the herds can move from day-to-day and hour-to-hours.

My suggestion - if you can get 3 or 4 days at EMC and another 1 or 2 days at Wildlife in Seronera - a good combination.

When dealing with animals, none of us can be guaranteed if, when, what or where we'll see or find them. I prefer to go with the flow and be pleasantly surprised with what I do come across on while on safari.

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sandi. Yes with animals we have no clue as to where they would be, we only have to guess. I want to stay for 7-8 nights serengeti. Which other camps/campsites and lodges would u suggest??
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 03:35 PM
sandi

There just isn't much, if anything, available at this point for a February 2006 stay in the Serengeti. Let alone for 7 to 8 days. Why not use some of those days to visit the Ngorongoro Crater and maybe even Lk.Manyara and/or Taragire.

As mentioned above, I'd take what is available at EMC, then maybe a day or two in the Seronera area at one of the lodges. Unless your tour operator can find space elsewhere, you are seeking accommodations late for high-season.

Sorry, I can't provide anything more substantive.

Let along 7 - 8 days.