Search

How is Jordan?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2000, 05:01 AM
Paige

How is Jordan?

I've always wanted to go to Jordan and see Petra so I'm starting to think about a trip next year. How is it for Americans? Any hostility? Is it easy to get around? I've never taken an organized tour and prefer not to. Can anyone recommend other stuff worth seeing there? How are the prices? I'm just starting to think about it so I appreciate any input! By the way, I've traveled all over Europe but have never been to the middle East or Africa. Thanks!

Old Nov 25th, 2000, 07:50 AM
jordanholidays/tours

dear paige <BR> good day to you from jordanholidays /amman. <BR> <BR> just to let you know that we are one of the main incoming tour operators located in jordan &mainly getting people from usa&europe ,jordan is avery secured place ,you dont need to worry about any thing ,as ajordanian been living for years in the united states ,jordan is very much secured &people are very kind <BR>so dint need to worry about <BR> <BR>regards <BR>ali rawashdeh <BR>incoming tourist mgr <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 01:17 PM
cash

Paige, <BR>I, too, have wanted to see Petra for many years! Well, I finally got there 2wks ago and it was as fabulous as I had hoped it would be. We had the most marvelous day. The weather was a perfect mid 70s. The Jordanians we met were wonderfully warm and charming. I had no idea if Americans (which we are) were a problem or not. No hostility, only graciousness. It is a long, dusty walk through the canyon to Petra, bring water and lots of film. <BR> <BR>The Middle East is a different type of travel than Europe. Are you a female Paige, or male? If female, I would think twice about going it alone. Women are treated and thought of very differently from men in Islamic countries. We were on a cruise from Istanbul to Mombassa and only spent a day and a half in Jordan, based at Aqaba, so I cannot answer your other questions. Good luck and do go!

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 03:03 AM
Paige

I'm a married female and my husband would be with me. Can any women comment on how it is to travel in Jordan? I assume proper dress (being covered as much as possible) is required. What else? Also, do many people there speak English? <BR>Has anyone traveled around Jordan without a tour group?

Old Nov 28th, 2000, 08:15 AM
jordan holidays/tours

all who are asking about jordan <BR> <BR> jordan is one of the modern countries in the middle east,people both male &female are travelling safely in jordan,out of our experience as tour operators we dont see any problem to any body,safe &secured .ladies dont need to wear on head or anything we are an islamic country ,but very moderate ,we have lot of foreign people living here ,many foreign ladies are married with jordanian men.

Old Nov 30th, 2000, 03:28 AM
liz

I traveled to Israel and Jordan last winter with a small group of folks I knew including someone who knew the area very well. We spent four days in Jordan. Two at Petra which was absolutely incredible. Two based in Amman which has some interesting archeological sites and some great shopping. (There is a gold Sic and the shops at the roman theatre offer interesting craft items.) We did find that sometimes we needed one of the men to ask for directions or order in restraunts because the particular Jordanian men were "deaf" when women spoke, but it was not a big problem. Two of us women went off on our own for an afternoon in Amman and had no problem. We did dress modestly but that was as much for our comfort as anyone elses. Have a great time!

Old Dec 17th, 2000, 08:37 AM
Raad

You are most welcome in Jordan , Jordan is a secured country for Americans and all other tourists, you can have more information about Jordan by visiting <BR>http://www.jtehome.com

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 05:04 PM
Timathea

Yes, go to Jordan! It is a beautiful country with the most friendly people, good food, and so much to experience. Petra is one of the most amazing places on the planet. You must swim in the Dead Sea -- your skin will be softer than it ever has been. The desert is thought-provoking. Yes, go. It feels safe and calm.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 03:00 AM
Riche

Hi Paige <BR>We are tour operators in Middle East and Africa. I have just returned from a 2 week visit to Jordan. Yes it is a safe, friendly and happy country and you will be made to feel very welcome. The people are great. <BR>Please visit our website <BR>www.tourism.to <BR>And write if you need any other informaqtion and/or assistance. <BR>Best wishes <BR>Riche