Search

Kenya Safari Late October?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 01:57 AM
chris

Kenya Safari Late October?

I am beginning to plan what I hope is the ultimate 30th birthday for my wife. I couldn't think of anything more perfect then being on Safari. The problem is her birthday falls on November 3, and we would like to take Safari around the dates Oct. 28-November 5. Would we be very diappointed by the weather or the animal sightings during this time of the year? <BR> <BR>We don't mind a bit of rain, but don't want constant downpours (we've lived in SE Alaska, Seattle, the Netherlands, England, and the Alps so we are comfortable doing activities in soggy conditions). <BR> <BR>Also I have as our must sees as Amboseli, Samburu, the Lakes and Masai Mara. Is this where the large game will be in late October?

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 04:24 AM
Bev

Dear Chris: <BR>What a beautiful gift you came up with. You see, my husband had the same idea and my birthday is in September. That day he took me to the best restaurant in our area and gave me a handmade card with a note about safari. The same evening we both started to work on our itinerary and on choosing company. It took a few weeks before everything was arranged but it was such an important part of this trip. I am so greatful he did not exclude me from the planning process. We decided to wait until mid-January and it was the best and most thoughtful birthday gift I ever received. If you go to Kenya in the end of October it is rainny season and when it rains it pours and many roads are just impossble to drive on. I would wait until mid December or January. It will make a difference if roads are dry. Kenya is fantastic and think about being there when is mudy and wet or when is dry and you are able to get to any corner of the safari area. What would your wife rather have? After all this is a birthday gift for her.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Buck

Just returned from Kenya and the last day there the rainy season had started for this time of year, I think there are two seasons, we were stuck in the mud for a hr. coming out of Amboseli and I had to drive the van as the driver had to get out and push along with all the other passengers. It turned out to be a fun thing as we were all covered with mud. <BR>Kenya is a good choice as the people are warm and friendly, the lodges are clean and comfortable and the food is good. Try the Go Aheah Vacations web site, Kenya Safari, is the one we went on and not one glitch the whole trip. Good luck, Buck

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 07:05 PM
Don

We were in Kenya and Tanzania from Sept16th - Ocr.3rd. Had very little rain and that was at night. We were in four wheel drive Land Rovers and we were pulling out the stuck vans they one night that we had more than a shower. Go with a Company that uses four wheel drive.

Old Apr 21st, 2001, 09:12 AM
chris

Thank you for the responses. I guess I am a little confused because according to the companies I've checked with October/November is still considered high season-while April/May is definitely low season. On that alone I'm going to guess that November isn't that bad. Anyone else have first hand experience for this time of year? <BR> <BR>I think we will just "go for it" anyway, making sure we book with a company that uses 4WD vehicles. Anyone have a good recommendation for such a company?

Old Apr 22nd, 2001, 04:40 AM
Bev

Chris there are so many great companies around. That was the most difficult part to decide whom to choose. Try to check this board for some interesting suggestions. I would give you the name of the company we used but won't I be accused of advertising? We stayed in luxurious tented camps, flew between camps without going back to Nairobi every time, we used four wheels vehicles with radio communication, most of the time we were only two with our driver who remains with us during duration of our stay in the camp. Two times we had another couple with us in our Land Rover. The price was less than half what A&K charges for their very similar adventure but they take you around in the vans with other people and before you fly to the next camp you have to go back to Nairobi to catch a connecting flight. What a waist of time. And food in each camp was very, very good. Just imagine having dinner on safari with white, crisp table clothes and waiters who actually wait. One camp had also a tree house a few miles away from the main camp where we spent one night. Just two of us. It was unforgettable experience. Because we spent not as much $ as we originally thought, we started to think about going back before we left Kenya. Oh, well here is the name of the company we used: Baobab Safaris. But please don't spread this name around I am affraid that once they become popular their prices will go up.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 04:01 PM
buck

We just returned from Kenya on March 28th and what a wonderful time we had. As for the 4 wheel drive vec. they ride much rougher that the reg. safari vans that most operators use and if you have to drive between the camps look out for a sore bum. We used Go Ahead Vacations Kenya Safari and there was not one thing that went wrong. They just have it all planne so nice. We left our lodge for the next at around 8;30 and arrived at the next for lunch. After lunch and dip in the pool or just relax for the game drive at 4;00 and back in time to clean up for dinner which, the food was outstanding. <BR>People were warm and friendly and really tried to please you. Take just a few clothes as all the lodges do laundry very cheap and it comes back all clean and pressed for around less than a buck. You will have a wonderful time which ever you choose, Kenya is a magical land that will live in your heart and mind forever, have a great trip, Buck

Old May 8th, 2001, 07:33 AM
rachel sumaria

Oct/Nov could be a problem because of the short rains in Kenya/Tanzania. If you went earlier then you might also catch the migration in Kenya. Otherwise we went in December with vintage africa (vintageafrica.com) using a combination of flights, 4x4 and minibuses and the company did an excellent job at customising the tour. We visited some of the more expensive properties and it was well worth it. If you can afford it then do a combination of upscale and comfortable accommodation. If you need any advice then do not hesitate to email me as i lived in Kenya for many years and travelled extensively using all kinds of transport, including horses.