Search

Camera Type opinions!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camera Type opinions!

We will be going with OAT on Safari to Kenya and Tanzania in July. We have two Nikon point and shoot cameras. Mine is 12 mega w/18X optical zoom and the other is Nikon 14 mega w/10X optical zoom. We have gotten great pictures on trips to other areas.. Do you think these should suffice for game drives in Africa. Our Canon video camera goes to 28X zoom.

Are you going to tell us that we are nuts to take these point and shoot and to get digital single lens reflex with telephoto, etc?

Thoughts/opinions !!

Thanks

JH
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 08:47 AM

What are you going to do with the photos you take? You say you are satisfied with the technical quality, image quality, of photos from your cameras, great.

Other than (perhaps) some improved image quality with a DSLR, there are many dis-advantages starting with size and weight. And continuing on to "post processing" where you "adjust" (perhaps with Photoshop) what comes out of the camera for the best looking photos.

Short answer is, use what you have. You know how to use it, you are satisfied with it, and the zoom ranges are good for game drives. And take them all so that you have a backup. And plenty of camera cards, and spare batteries, chargers, and the list goes on

regards - tom
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 08:54 AM

Those cameras should suffice, since one has an 18x zoom. Use the other one as backup. Take multiple batteries and make sure they work in the camera. One of my friends took generic batteries for her Nikon camera and neither worked. I'd suggest having one person shoot stills and the other, videos. Use "The Pod" for stabilization of the video camera and even one for the still camera. It really worked well for me this year when shooting videos with the camera zoomed all the way out. It's basically a beanbag that bolts to your camera at the tripod connection. www.thepod.ca

However, if you wanted upgrade, there are some good deals right now on the Canon SX-40 "superzoom" camera because Canon has just released the SX-50. The SX-40 is what I used on my latest safari... 35x zoom and it shoots HD video. You can buy a new one for $316 on Amazon.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 08:58 AM

I see Tom and I were posting at the same time. I agree with him about the weight. With the increased quality of the "superzooms", I decided I was tired of carrying all the weight of the DSLRs (used the Canon Rebel XT), lenses, etc. It really hit home when I saw photos from someone using a camera with only a 12x zoom and realizing she got closer shots than I did with my 300mm lens. Unless you're a professional or near professional, I think you'll be happy with what you have or with an upgraded superzoom.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 10:03 AM

I agree that having a lot of weight to carry is a pain - DSLR, multiple lenses. I have a Canon Powershot SX 10 IS, 10 megapixel and 20X optical zoom. At its maximum zoom the photos are pretty grainy - less than ideal resolution. But close up or at medium zoom, I've been very happy with the photos. Taken it on 2 trips to Africa. You can look at some of my photos using it at

cateyes.smugmug.com
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 11:01 AM

We also use a super-zoom cameras, an old Canon S3 and S5. Older models to the Canon SX10, SX30, SX40. A problem with these cameras grainy photos (resulting from their small sensor) is when they shoot at ISO 400 or higher (e.g. 800, 1600). I set ISO on ours to max of 200. While, FWIW, DSLRs make incredibly "clean" photos at ISO 1600 (and higher).

regards - tom
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 12:04 PM

The Canon SX40 uses a different sensor than the earlier models, which makes for better photos at a higher ISO. I also used the SX-10 before and can see a difference. Still, a grainy shot is better than no shot. I think I like my videos better with my Sony Handicam, but trying to juggle two cameras is a pain and I missed a lot of shots that way. Doing everything with one camera is a plus, overall, on safari, unless you've got two people.
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Hey All,

Thanks a lot for your thoughts/opinions. I think we will stick with our two Nikons which are Coolpix S9100 w/12.1 MP and 18X optical and other is Nikon Coolpix S8000 with 14.2MP and 10X optical zoom. They both have HD movie capability. The video camera is a Canon ZR950 miniDV with 48X zoom optical and 2000X digital zoom. So....there you go. i think we will be fine!

Thanks again.

JH
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 02:21 PM

You will be fine. I took photos with a point and shoot Panasonic Lumix 16X opticall zoom (and enlarged some of the p hotos using the digital zoom when printing).
Not only were all who saw them impressed...I was impressed!! But expect to see some others with lenses that weigh more than the owners !
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 10:32 PM

Sounds good, JH. Batteries, plug adapters, lens cleaning gear, The Pod, lots of memory cards... don't forget the small stuff!
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Stick with what you've got. They're both good for the purpose and likely to get better pics than if you spent the $$$ for a DSLR, plus the learning curve (many simply keep these set at Auto), the accessories, etc. Besides, you're often so close to game, close enought to be tempted to reach out and touch (but don't) that you don't need that much overkill.

I've gotten some really great photos from my first digital P&S, 5mg, 10X Optical (still works perfectly well), and then an upgrade about 3/yrs later, again a P&S, 8mg, 18X Optical (this latter optical is in the range of 400mm) also works just fine. Regardless the very attractive for current P&S, I'm not tempted enough to be upgrading camera every 3-4 years just to have another toy.
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Right On Sandi,

That was just my thinking. Our good friends who did a Safari about 15 years ago took, what was then, the very best in SLR cameras and lenses and, i must say, they took some wonderful pictures which they blew up to picture frame size and are hanging, to this day, on the walls of their living room. Very life-like and impressive photos. At any rate, he was pushing me to go SLR with lenses, as well. I, however, don't think so.

P.S. We paid the entire amount of the OAT trip today so we could capture a 5% rebate. We go next July and hope that we are lucky enough to catch some aspect of the Wildabeast migration. It will be Tanzanea with a 4 night extension to Kenya.

JH
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 08:53 PM

Please correct me if I am wrong but I think the difference between even the best point and shoots is lag time. With the DSLR you shoot multile photos in succession and not having to wait for the information to be read by the camera
Old Oct 10th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

With my new Nikon S9100 P&S I can set it to shoot multiple frames, like 5-6 or more with one click. P&S have come a long way, haven't they.

JH
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 08:15 AM

Exactly, JH! That's another reason I upgraded from the Canon SX-10 to the SX-40. It even has a "burst" mode.
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 11:54 AM

Jaydh, congratulations on making that payment!!!
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Hey CaliNurse,

There was nothing to it. Just a few clicks on the keyboard and it was done. Ha! Ha!
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 06:59 PM

Jaydh, yeah, it's too easy... that's why i can't go anywhere major in 2013 (or so i say now!)

Re your original question--as written above i am quite happy with the Panasonic Lumix and the great photos it too of wildlife and scenery.

I just noticed the updated version, Panasonic ZS20 20X optical zoo, equally compact, and just over $200. It gets even better reviews that the earlier model that i love.

Ah..."just a few clicks on the keyboard" and it could be mine!!
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 07:35 PM

Even with the cameras you have, you might get some shots worth putting on your walls. Be sure you are familiar with your cameras and their features. You might want to do some practice shots at the zoo. Looking at other people's photos can give you an idea of the kind of shots you want to take.
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Atravelynn, your comment is well taken. There are sooooo many features with these newest P&S cameras. OUR Nikon S9100 is still new and we are getting acquainted with it. Took it to the beach yesterday and saw a sail boat way in the distance . I had it on the Beach setting and shot the boat way off, zooming in as far as I could go. With this picture taken I was then able to zoom it in much further on the camera and fix it, so I had the distance shot of sail boat and the fixed-close- in shot which was surprisingly sharp and clear....could read letters/words printed on the sail. Wow! What a feature that is.

JH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -