Search

Japanese woman killed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japanese woman killed

HARARE, Zimbabwe - A pride of lions attacked and killed a Japanese woman visiting a Zimbabwe wildlife park, state media reported Sunday.

The attack occurred Thursday at the Lion and Cheetah Park at Norton, 25 miles west of the capital, Harare, assistant police commissioner Wayne Bvudzijena told the Sunday Mail newspaper.

The 50-year-old woman was about to leave the park's 49-acre lion enclosure on foot with five people from the Japanese Embassy and park employees when one of the animals attacked, he said.

"Other lions, whose number we were not given, also went for the helpless woman and joined in the attack," Bvudzijena said.

The woman's companions threw stones to drive away the lions. She was rushed to Parirenyatwa Teaching Hospital in Harare, where she died of her injuries the following day, the newspaper reported.

The victim's identity was not released. The newspaper reported that she was linked to the embassy, but it did not elaborate.

It was not immediately clear what the group was doing on foot inside the enclosure. Previously, visitors have been under strict instructions not to exit their vehicles.

The Sunday Mail said an official inquiry would establish whether security measures were followed.

Police, park officials and officials at the Japanese Embassy were not immediately available to comment Sunday.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Why do people get out of the vehicle!!!
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 01:16 PM

Doing a walking safari for 3 - 5 mile distances is one thing, but to be walking around in a 49 acre lion enclosure is just plain stupid.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 02:19 PM
sandi

I can't even think of a comment. However, sad for anyone to loose their life, who would even allow people (tourists/visitors) to freely walk with lions? Stupid, dumb, idiotic, thoughtless........... I see a lawsuit!

The recent issue of Africa mag had an article about the Big Cats, and except for Okonjima in Namibia (Africats)the cheetah are possible, not so with the leopard. And at the other conservation collared areas - Liakipia and Ol Donyo Wuas in Kenya - it's a no-no when it comes to lions. Sure you can track them, but keep your butt in that vehicle.

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:05 PM

hi, i heard about this through a buddy at work today. but no details till i looked here. the animals are pissed off to begin with. they should be. not sorry about it at all. man has taken 10's of thousands of the lions. soon, there will be none left.
if they take a few people down with them along the way. all the more power to them.
these were good pickens.
d
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:17 PM

i'm sure it was all videotaped and/or photographed the whole time the tragedy was occurring...can't imagine missing a shot like that...just hope they didn't put the lions to death.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:19 PM

I definitely will NOT be going on the Lion Walk Encounter while in Victoria Falls! (am still planning on the elephant back safari though!)
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:03 PM
tkspinole

SUSHI