Search

Malaria Free Zones ??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 06:02 PM
DE

Malaria Free Zones ??

Would like to know if anyone knows of where the malaria free zones are in Africa that would offer upscale accommodations and good game viewing, etc. Are there any of these lodges in South Africa? Would like to do a Safari but not that keen on having to take anti malaria meds unless visiting these free zones would limit the safari experience overall. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DE,<BR><BR>Welcome...I believe we spoke about Chile on the Latin American board. <BR><BR>For a nice looking malaria-free game reserve check out Jaci's Safari Camp. Here is a link:<BR><BR>www.mtbeds.co.za/resort.xml?resID=1497<BR><BR>I haven't been there myself but it was highly recommended by another poster on this forum. It looks like a beautiful place. The website I gave you also has links to countless other game reserves and they are the most competitive rates I have seen.<BR><BR>I am sure the others on this boards can also give you other good leads to malaria-free game reserves. As I said before, forget about Chile and come to South Africa instead. You won't be disappointed.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 07:15 AM

I can't push Jaci's enough. I have been there twice and liked it far more than, say, Mala Mala. The owners live there and everything is very personable.<BR>More than enough animals to see and very few other vehicles. any questions, just ask
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 11:02 AM

Jaci's is in a Malaria free zone but Mala Mala, which is very nice is unfortunately in a Malaria zone. Pilanesberg and Shamwari are two Malaria free Game Reserves. If you are surfing around South Africa (and our neighbours) it is a safe bet that if they are in Malaria Free zones they advertise is as such loudly and clearly. If it is not advertised as Malaria free, chances are it is not Malaria free. There may be exceptions to this but I have yet to find one. Hope this helps.<BR><BR>golfer<BR>[email protected]
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 11:57 AM
DE

Thanks to all for your informative replies. I will check into the info you have given.<BR>TO ROCCO: Yes we did converse on the Latin American board. I still hope to do a trip to the Atacama as well. We do like to visit places that are a bit out of the ordinary and can offer a unique vacation experience along with the more traditional destinations. <BR>I'm sure we will be thrilled with a Safari. Have you ever been to the Seychelles.? Wouldn't mind combining Africa with a stop in the Seychelles as well.

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 12:27 PM
DE

Just looked into the website for Jaci's lodge and new tree lodge. The place looks fabulous and they seem to offer access to view lots of wildlife. Is there any particular time of year that is better for game viewing. Would like to go when the weather is good as well. Thanks for the replies.