Reload this Page >

Egyp - Cairo, Luxor, Abu Simbel a short trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Mohan

Hi,<BR>We are planning a short trip to Egypt. We have a tentative itinerary as follows:<BR>2 days in Cairo (Pyramids & Museum)<BR>1 day in Luxor<BR>1 day in Abu Simbel<BR><BR>Could you please comment on:<BR>a) The feasibility of this itinerary <BR>b) If we should do our hotel and flight bookings directly or go through a local tour agent. Please recommend any tour agents you were happy with.<BR>c) Any suggestions of hotels that are clean and comfortable, but not too pricey.<BR>d) The best way to get to Luxor from Abu Simbel.<BR>Thank you for your help.<BR>Mohan.

Old Feb 27th, 2002, 11:38 PM
gail

Can not answer all your questions but: we spent 10 days in Egypt, could have spent more, but spend as much time as you have. We flew from Aswan to Abu Simbel. I would imagine there are also flights from Luxor. Even though your trip is short, I would not miss Abu Simbel - spend about 3 hours there plus transportation time. From the airport in Abu Simbel they herd everyone onto a bus and off to Abu Simbel - a short ride. Also, on a trip that short, I would make sure everything is lined up carefully ahead of time - Egypt operates on "Egypt time" - locals are less bound by the clock than we were accustomed to, but things geared to tourists were more punctual. To me, part of the charm of the country, but 4 days does not give you time to be waiting around. Have a good trip

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 02:42 AM
Howard

I would skip Abu Simbel and spend the extra day in Luxor. It's not that Abu Simbel isn't interesting, but there is so much to see in Luxor that you are cheating yourself if you only stay one day, and why go through the additional hassle/expense/time of flying down to A.S. for such a short visit. Presumalby within a very short stretch you are already flying into and out of Egypt, down to Luxor, and want to add two more flights. Also, two days in Luxor would give you a ittle time to walk around the city, so that not all of your trip will jsut be to ancient sites.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 08:16 PM
noeleen

I disagree with Howard. Although spending more time in Luxor is not a bad idea it would be a shame to miss Abu Simbal. There are so many facinating places to see but Abu Simbal<BR>is larger than life. For sheer size alone it is worth a visit. We flew from Aswan and spent one and a half hours there. I know it does not sound like much time but there was plenty of time to have a wander round. For me it was well worth the journey.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:49 AM
carol

My suggestion - ask yourself if you're the type of person who goes back to re-visit places - if the answer is yes, then try and sample everything and do as much as possible- go back and re-visit for more of what you liked wherever that was !<BR><BR>If you normally only do a place once - do one day in Cairo ( you can do pyraimds & musuem in 1 day easy ), one day Luxor, one day karnak,one day Abu Simbel.<BR><BR>enjoy !<BR><BR>If you

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:39 AM
Donna

Is it safe to go to Egypt right now? Also, I have always worried about getting out of the airport and finding a ride! Sorry, im so nervous, this will be my first time out of The States! Thanks for the help!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 02:49 PM
doug

Message: I just returned from egypt and had a wonderful time! I was refered to a taxi driver named Hamdi Allam. He was great and affordable (only about 20-30 USD for the full day (12 hours)!! He has been a driver in Egypt for over 25 years and knows all its in's and outs! Which you need in that city. I recommend him in the best sence, because he was not only a great driver and spoke very good english, but he helped my family and i do everything from get train tickets to ward off mobs of sellers. He says no group is too large for him. His number is +02(country code) 20 (city code) and the number 3139291. He does not have an email address, however if you want i can get in contact with him for you.<BR><BR>Happy Travels!<BR>Doug<BR><BR>