Singita Ebony vs. Londolozi Tree

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comparing these two lodges, which is best for luxury? And which is best for game viewing?

We are interested in a colonial feel, hence the reason we have narrowed to just these two camps.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:12 AM
sandi

Singita Ebony, hands down!

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi! Would you say the setting for Ebony is prettier (or at least as pretty) as Londolozi Tree?

And would the animals be pretty much the same - hippos included?
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 01:18 PM
sandi

Singita Ebony especially has the colonial air to it (versus Singita Boulders), but I cannot comment on Londolozi Tree personally, rather only from the website.

Though animal sightings can't be guaranteed, on the private reserves you will probably see just about anything you expect. And I'm sure there is a waterhole/pond somewhere on the this reserve, so I'm sure you'll find hippos.

And if for some reason there is an animal that you don't see, all the more reason to plan for another trip to Africa.

Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:03 PM

Ericka, I stayed at Singita Boulders which is a 1 minute drive from Ebony and shares the same large area for game viewing. Even though it is not a water camp, we saw a hippo on land on an early morning drive, just standing on our dirt road in the brush. One day at lunch we looked across the river and saw a mother followed by a baby hippo. I've seen hippos in the water and I much prefer seeing them on land. You see more of them than just their eyes and jaws and you know they're not going to knock over your boat.

BTW, Little Mombo/Mombo rooms are directly over the swampy water on stilts so there were more bugs there than any other camp I had seen (this was May/June). There were large cans of poison in the room that the housekeepers would spray and we were instructed to spray right before going out to dinner. I hated that stuff because it can't be good for you but there were so many small flying bugs - and some larger ones - that there was no choice. The netting on the bed didn't help, they'd get inside there too. Part of the problem is you have a lot of windows in the tent, some right behind your bed. The benefit of being so close to the water was seeing the parade of wildlife and I loved the chorus of frogs every night.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 07:15 PM

Also wanted to add that when you get to a camp you should look in their game log usually displayed on a table. See what they have been seeing lately. You should let them know (both the camp manager who checks you in and your guide) what you are most interested in seeing. At a good camp they will ask you. Most people want to see cats, predators. But others may want rhino or buffalo or something else because they haven't seen any yet. In your case you should let them know you'd like to see hippo. BTW, you may know this but hippos kill more people in Africa than anything except malaria. They are to be respected.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 07:33 PM

If your are especially interested in hippos, I would suggest Singita Ebony since it is on the Sand River. We saw hippos from our room at Boulders daily (and met guests from Ebony who said the same was true there) literally everyday. We also saw hippos out of water three time on seven game drives. Seems to me the issue is proximitity to water, and in that case, the riverside Singita camps must trump.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:14 PM

Off topic, but I would like people to realize that if they want to see hippos there is no better place than South Luangwa NP in Zambia. Just by looking out of my chalet, I regularly saw 20+ hippos and a dozen+ crocs.

At the hippo hide, even very early in June before the water has receded much, there were over 50 hippos and nearly as many crocs, all within about 500' of the hide.

Don't let the presence of a lone hippo decide which $2,000 per night South African lodge you are going to book! Instead, shave a couple nights off the South African itinerary and come to Zambia for a week and really experience Africa!
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:17 PM

(I was specifically speaking about my experience at Kaingo)

www.kaingo.com even though they won't cut me a break next year and quoting me $400 pppns in high season! Great for hippos, elephants and birding but for $50 pppns Puku Ridge is in a whole different league and for $100 pppns Chichele Presidental Lodge is the Singita of Zambia, and better than Singita overall, IMO.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:21 PM

I just cannot get it right tonight...I meant to say that Puku Ridge was only $50 pppns more expensive than Kwando and Chichele PL was only $100 pppns more expensive than Kwando. Puku Ridge looks as nice as Jao or any of the best looking Botswanan camps. I only spent about 30 minutes touring Puku Ridge but in that time there were three different elephants that came right through the lodge! The 1,000 sq. ft. luxury tents are incredible with a huge balcony overlooking the adjoining open plain below.