Tanzania or Kenya in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2014, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I (both teachers) are interested in doing a Safari during our October school break. We are interested in seeing as many animals as possible. What country is preferable at this time of year, Kenya or Tanzania? And what parks should we focus on.? We have 6/7 days of safari time available, what is a reasonable itinerary to see as much as possible? Feeling slightly overwhelmed with the planning of this trip. There are so many different options. We are looking for mid-range lodge accommodations. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 10:32 AM

Both countries are great safari destinations and have vast numbers of animals but during October i would suggest Kenya as the Migration of wildebeests which are literally in their millions converge along the banks of river Mara to cross into the Serengeti (Tanzania). Focus on the Masai mara National park and you wont be disappointed.
There are mid range accommodation which are luxurious and the prices are well within reach. (not sure whether to mention some...)

I would like to suggest the below Itinerary:

Day 1: Masai Mara
Day 2: Masai Mara
Day 3: Masai Mara
Day 4: Masai Mara - Lake Nakuru National Park
Day 5: Lake Nakuru - Amboseli National Park
Day 6: Amboseli National Park
Day 7: Amboseli - Nairobi

This program samples the best game parks and encompasses the magnificent scenery, wildlife, and adventure for which Kenya is famous. And its all experienced at a luxurious pace

October is usually the Peak season and accommodations tend to be tricky. I would suggest to book early.
Old Mar 1st, 2014, 12:18 AM
aby

hi Hulio
see my comment in the following thread (it is relevant 2U2)
<green> <b>Safari and Beach Honeymoon in September
Old Mar 1st, 2014, 01:09 PM

Note that safari njoo is a budget camping one with shared bathrooms and showers. Don't believe this is what you'd like or requesting.

Whether the routing shown for Kenya or Tanzania there are some long transit times and those who have been can advise that roads aren't the best. On Kenya it's 5-6/hrs between NBO/MARA, at least 5/hrs Mara/Nakuru and departing Nakuru to Amboseli will take most of the day. When it comes to the Tanzania safari, long haul from Tarangire to Serengeti which is again most of the day.
Old Mar 1st, 2014, 02:25 PM

I suggest going to Tanzania especially the northern circuit where you will be able to do safari and managed to visit 4 national parks. You will be able o see many animals. I recommend travelling with oreta Adventiures.
Old May 19th, 2014, 05:49 AM

In October the Wildebeest migration with all the accompanying plains game - which leads to some great predator action will be in Kenya.

I have made several trips to Kenya at this time of the year and have never been disappointed.

If you are travelling during the October Half Term break you want to avoid places that are too busy.

What sort of budget are you on? Do you want to have maximum wildlife viewings, do you want a lodge with a pool or a rela bush camp. These choices will help you decide where to go as the actual camps. their guiding etc all differ.
Old Jun 11th, 2014, 12:50 PM

Simply put and though nice properties, but Serena's are NOT 5*

... and you have to stop soliciting for this safari operator; against Fodor's rules.
Old Jun 30th, 2014, 01:25 PM

best fares kenya -
you should read the Fodor's rules/regs as it's not permitted to promote/solicit your services.
Old Sep 21st, 2014, 10:11 AM

Forget about northern circuit parks in Tanzania.
Unless you are up to the great migration from Mara to Serengeti...

Otherwise, please have a look at those hidden jewels in the south of Tanzania. Especially Katavi National Park.
Unspoilt and with much more chances to enjoy wildlife without the traffic and the stress of northern circuit parks.

Feel free to drop me a line if you want to know more about this.