Mombasa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2004, 06:52 PM
Xo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mombasa

I plan to go to Kenya in December. Is itsafe to travel by (hired) car from Nairobi to Mombasa? How long a trip is it? Is mombasa north coast to be recommended? I plan to stay at a time share resort there. Can one go down to zanzibar by boat from there? Cost & Time?
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 04:07 AM

I sure hope it isn't the Royal Reserve.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 07:01 PM
Xo
Original Poster

No, it's Mwembe Resort at Malindi. Why, the Royal Reserve seems so nice on paper? Any comments on travelling perhaps?
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 12:50 PM

Xo:

The drive from Nairobi to Mombasa is approximately 8 hours long some of it over very, very poor highway (particularly at the Mombasa end) with many, many slow-moving trucks. You can fly from Nairobi to Mombasa in a little
less than an hour using either Kenya Airways or British Airways. Unless you have a lot of time to spend in Kenya it would probably be worth your flying to Mombasa.

Don't know the answer to going to Zanzibar by boat. Perhaps someone else has had the experience and can help you out.

Jan
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 01:26 PM
sandi

Xo - there's also the overnight train (given the charming name of "lunatic express", when first built at the end of the 19th/early 20th Centuries) from Nairobi to Mombasa. Leaves 9pm, arriving next morning 7am.

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:24 AM

Hi Sandi - I wondered if the train was still running. What a shame it doesn't leave at 5.00 pm like it used to! But at least if you wake early you would see the dawn as you approach Mombasa. The train for me!! But if you decide to drive, Xo, be sure to fill up with petrol as unless things have changed enormously, once you leave the 'metropolitan' areas there is only the one service station at the approx half way mark Mtito Andei. Honestly, I can see no benefit in driving unless you want to detout to Tsavo. Better hire a car in Mombasa if you want wheels at the coast.

Re boat to Zanzibar. Years ago it was possible with GREAT difficulty to find a dhow to take you to Zanzibar. As far as I know it has been illegal for dhow captains to take foreigners for about the last 20 years. And I wonder how many dhows there are left anyway. If you want to arrive in Zanzibar by ship you must sail from Dar.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 03:33 AM

Xo-

We're taking the overnight train Nairobi-Mombasa on Friday 11/29. Happy to let you know how it goes. Still struggling with Mombasa Hotel choices (we only have 2 days there....white Sands? Takaungu House (which sounds wonderful but hard to figure out how to book/prices)
Steve