Search

floods botswana

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
floods botswana

Hi guys, anybody has recent news regarding the flood level/Or the expected flood level in the okavango delta in 2006. Also would like to know the flood level in various months of 2005, specially in feb/march and april compared to 2004,2003 etc....
Thanks in advance
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Come on guys chip in!!!! I admit I am confused to the hilt. And I know I have asked a difficult question.Promise I will not blame you if u are wrong.I have been reading the past report of 2004/2005 and I wish some people would have posted thier trip reports!!! The most shocking post I think was of PB, where at mombo he was doing the spotting and the guides were just chatting and missing the lions. Fascinating.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 04:42 AM

sonali,
all the reports i have heard say there has been above average rain so far in northern botswana. its still early but i think its supposed to be a slightly above average flood. u can see a chart of flood levels in different months on the eyes on africa website. i believe its under their camp news section for june 04.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Big country,
So It looks like an above the average flood. I hope the flood will not be like the 2004. Interested in knowing how the heavy flood situation should affect mombo and chief's in feb/march.
some good areas of chief's become inaccessible when the floods are heavy.
Would it be better to go in feb rather than march!!! Should I only do one camp(chief's), it would really not make sense to go to the other camps when they are flooded. In a heavy flood situation which other camp would u suggest for feb/march for maximum lions.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 05:54 AM
mv

Sonali

I am no expert on the dynamics of the floods but you should consider the following:
Duba is probably one of the first areas to be hit by the floods but I still doubt that the main flood has reached Duba in Feb/March. I would expect that it will peak at Duba in May.
In 2002 I was at Stanleys camp (southern tip of Chiefs Island, Mombo is northern end) and the flood was arriving as I was there end of June.
Why dont you send an e-mail to Wilderness and ask them directly. Even if they dont take direct bookings they will still respond to your questions

Michael
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Rains have been HUGE so fay in the Linyanti/Delta.
Spoke with a guide at WS this weekend who told me that DumaTau has already received their average yearly rainfall (only 2nd week Jan)!

Of course, this could change... but all this rain, if it continues, will contribute to above average flood levels later this year.

James
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Micheal, I will write to wilderness and find out. I have checked satellite maps(on the net),weather news and god knows what to get some idea about the floods, but still cannot make a head or tail of it(hehe)
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Hello James, thanks for the info, keep me posted regarding the floods.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 09:29 PM
santharamhari

Sonali,

Yet another aspect to consider.......its not the actual rainfall in the delta itself (although it does matter to some extent) but also the rainfall in the angolan highlands.....that is actually the source of the water and life of the okavango itself.......

But yes, to answer one of your questions........feb better than March regarding flood levels......

But regardless of the floods, the rates at Chiefs camp at this time of the year is a can't miss option........if u write to Wilderness or whoever.....they are just going to say......come on over and you are going to see whatever animals etc.,etc.,

Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi Hari, I know the floods will be at thier highest level in may june, if I am not mistaken.FEb is turning out to be really difficult and I am going to kanha end feb,returning 4th march, so cannot leave before the 10th march. I think will stick to chief's only for the time being and select something like chitabe or kwara. Do u know how kestwani and tubu tree are in march???Any suggestions??
Sonali.
Sonali.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:11 AM

santharamhari was one to the right answer. You need to look at the rains in Angola that feed the Okavango. It is the type of soils in Angola that slowly allow the water to seap out, feed the river system, and travel the distance south. That is why after the rains have stopped that the Okavanga peaks out.

The other thing is that the Delta is not 'flooding' like it used to. As ranching and other endeavors have been using more water, it seems that it is not reaching any of the previous historical records.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:17 PM
santharamhari

Sonali......just do chief's.....and chitabe or Kwara.........stopping stressing yourself about other options, as you cant beat this! (for the time of the year......value for money!!!)

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Agree with u completely Hari,Sonali.