HELP..visiting Oman and Qatar from Dubai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have several days to spend in this area of the world. We have three nights (just two days sightseeing) allocated for Dubai. We want to go to Abu Dhabi (think a taxi would not be a problem) BUT when getting quotes for flights to Oman and Qatar what a shock!! We would love to hire a car and driver/guide to go to Oman, but despite going on all the regular sites I have had no luck (just rent a car and drive yourself). There are suggestions of luxury coaches but no real information. I haven't found a single recommendation for a hired vehicle with driver/guide. As for Qatar, nothing but hyoer-expensive air fares. Maybe we should have taken the 7 day r/t Dubai cruise after all!!!!

Please, we need help with some ideas on how to do this within reason..I can fly to Dubai from England for less than a 'local' flight!!

Thank you!!!!!!
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 04:49 AM

If you only have a few days, I'd just do Oman and not Qatar. There's a lot to see in Oman but the highlights aren't close together. That at least cuts your challenge down a little!
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 04:55 AM

Just found some flights with Swiss from Dubai to Muscat and they are around USD250.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks..I will check that out. It seems a lot for an hour's flight!!! I can cruise for $1500 each for 7 days Dubai, Muscat, Fujairah, Abu Dhabi, Mina Sulmn and back to Dubai with overnights in Dubai both visits....maybe that would be easier!!!!
I would have loved to get to Qatar, however!
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 11:47 AM

You can also fly on Air Arabia, which departs from Sharjah, not far from Dubai city. I flew them from Dubai (really Sharjah airport) to Muscat, and also flew them roundtrip from Dubai to Bahrain. They are one of the best discount carriers that I have flown.

www.airarabia.com

There are plenty of buses from Dubai to Abu Dhabi.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks..I am going to the two airline websites now and will let you know what I find!!!
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Okay, I can't have it all ways and I want it!!!! SwissAir leaves from DUBAI which is great; but the flight leaves at 11:20PM and returns at 12:25AM.
Air Arabia's times are good, but I read online that it can take tree hours in rush hour to get from one airport to the other.
Both airlines' prices are good.
Am I looking at the right places to visit from Dubai?
As it is I think we only have time to visit one other place.
As we are not beach people I think two full days in Dubai is plenty.
We now only have 6 or 7 days total as we go on to Delhi.
Any other itnerary ideas??
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 04:36 PM

Can you arrange to fly outside of rush hour and then use the Sharjah airport? I stayed in Deira and traveled outside of rush hour, and it didn't take more than 15 minutes to get to the airport.

Or you can stay in Sharjah, so be outside of the rush hour traffic, and take a local bus into Dubai to visit. I traveled all around the Emirates (visiting all seven) by public transport and its very easy.

An interesting day trip from Dubai is to the Musandam peninsula area of Oman -- I think there are groups that have day tours that include a cruise thru the khors (like fjords, but arid -- you'll see dolphins and some good snorkeling, plus interesting scenery).

I posted photos from my November 2006 trip to the UAE, Oman (incl. Musandam) and Bahrain on this forum -- you can find it if you click on my name and look for trip reports if you're interested.

Michael
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for those great ideas. I am totally exhausted from my research (what a whiner!!) and really appreciate the advice. I am trying to arrange our India trip which will follow on from this and our Fall Foliage trip in the US which is a last minute decision. Yesterday I bought all my international long-haul air and upgraded with miles.
By the way, are taxis as inexpensive as I have read that they are?
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

I couldn't find the posting, Michael. what is the title..I found pictures from Jordan etc. (fabulous).

I think you have somewhat solved my dilemma. The peninsula sounds interesting, and maybe I can check for cultural pursuits there too.

You have put the idea into my head of focussing on what we can do in the Emirates.
I had planned on Abu Dhabi and Sharjah appears to have some interesting sights.
Now my question is which of the seven emirates are most interesting and what to see, bearing in mind that now i am looking at travelling on land.

My trip will last about 6 weeks total (England, cruise from Barcelona for 2 weeks, UAE, Northern India and Nepal), so maybe I am trying to do too much. Part will be with my mother, but that is the cruise portion and a couple of days in Dubai, and the rest with my husband who will meet us in Dubal.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 11:41 PM

We hired a driver and car in Muscat (the company also arranged the hotels for us). We went out for around 4 days and went up to the Jebel Akhdar mountains, Nizwa fort, Wahaiba Sands, the coast and various wadis. If you can arrange something similar I recommend it although we were in the car for a lot of the time.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 06:24 AM

Philbill, I can't find them either, so I have reposted the link to the photos, but while I haven't included any sort of trip report, I'd be happy to answer any questions.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 03:51 PM

There are busses from Abu Dhabi to Muscat, takes about 6 hours. Driving yourself would be about 4 hours. Once in Muscat you can hire a taxi and driver. I really wouldn't bother with Qatar, and I live in Doha! It's just not a tourist city. Oman is incredible!
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Oh I am so torn.
Okay, we will be in Dubai 7days. We have to be in Dubai for the first two full days as we are leaving my mother at the airport at 8am the third day. So we have from 8am Wednesday until early Sunday morning when we catch our next flight.

I am thinking Abu Dhabi one day, Sharjah one day, ? the Garden City one day?? We read that Furaijah has not much for the one day tourist to see.

We would love to go to Oman (Muscat) but as I said the flights are at odd times or involve getting to Sharjah. The bus sounds interesting, but wouldn't it take less time from Dubia as oposed to Abu Dhabi?? We don't want to drive ourselves. Thanks for the Doha info!!!!!!

At least we have the flights and dates in place...
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 03:02 PM

Are there enough interesting day trips from Muscat to fill 3 days or so? I am trying to see Oman along with Jordan/Syria but this trip is solo(female).
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 03:15 PM

Also, has anyone used Desert Horizon tours? Thx
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 02:13 AM

There are lots of day trips from Muscat either to the mountains or to the wadis (see my note above). It's not that easy to do a day trip alone so I'd suggest you hire a driver/guide. You could do one trip south to some wadis and then another into the mountains. Oman is a very safe country.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 06:20 AM

Thanks-I'll plan on some day trips once I get there.
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 01:29 PM

Hello. Have u been to the Middle East already? I was thinking of going to to the same trip and i would like share ideas. Are you on facebook? Regards,
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 03:30 PM

Yes, I went to Oman, Syria, UAE and Jordan and have since been back several times to the UAE and Jordan. Sadly, Syria is the most fascinating of all of these countries though the others are interesting too in their own ways. I needed much more time in Oman and hope to go back there someday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -