8 Nights in Morocco - Itinerary Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, mother and I will be going to Morocco in late Nov (2015) for 8-9 nights. I've outlined the following itinerary, but, I don't like that we'll be bouncing around at so many places - it doesn't make for a very relaxing trip to keep switching hotels. Does anyone have any thoughts on what we can combine or do differently? We're open to adding one more night if it makes sense.

Marrakech - 2 nights
Skoura - 1 night
Merzouga (1 night + 1 night in tent)
Midelt - 1 night
Fes - 2 nights

We haven't booked our flights yet; one way will be to/from Marrakech, but, haven't decided if the other to/from will be from Casablanca or Tangier; they sort of seem like a hassle since there isn't anything near either port that we want to see.

I personally would skip Fes b/c I prefer the scenery over history, but, I might get outnumbered on that. Should we skip Fes and go to Chefchaouen and fly out of Tangier? Open to all suggestions - thanks much!
Old Sep 13th, 2015, 02:38 PM

No, do not skip Fes. It is the star of Morocco. Not much to see in Chaouen. Full of potheads, but Tangiers is lovely, no matter what you've read.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 12:16 AM

Sallam 'lekum SherylZR,

Taking into account that you obviously wish to experience the Moroccan Sahara (Erg sand dunes), you've actually suggested a pretty good itinerary. Your two choices to travel from Marrakech to Fès (or Chefchaouen or Tangier or Casablanca) via the desert dunes are:
1. Multiple stopover destinations that don't require long days in the vehicle; or
2. Only 2-3 stopover destinations requiring long days in the vehicle.

Your current itinerary follows the first above choice, and I would stick with it personally. You're still giving yourself two nights out in the 'desert' (one night in a desert camp and one night back at a desert-edged auberge), which is more than most people allow themselves. As I often mention on this forum, you could give yourself another day somewhere by only transiting Midelt (lunch stop) on the drive from the desert to Fès. If you take this option, then make sure your night in the desert camp is the first night (with the second night at the desert-edged auberge) to give you more traveling time (the camel trek back from the desert camp can take up to 1 hour, to then be followed by a shower and breakfast before you then depart for Fès).

However, if you decide to totally skip Fès (gasp, shock, horror!) then you would need to stop in Midelt. Merzouga/desert to Fès is a full day's drive and it is really not recommended to try to go any further on that day. From Midelt however, you could reach Chefchaouen in a day (although it is also a very long day's drive).

In my opinion, the medinas of Fès (el Bali and Jdid) are one of the world's greatest treasures and a must-see. But I think you know that already and fair enough if you would rather be out in the hills and nature than inside some old walls . Yes, Chefchaouen is a magnet for those wishing to experience the relative freedom of smoking hash without too much worry, but the village is much more than this (very photogenic and an interesting mix of Andalusian-Moroccan) and the surrounding hills offer some wonderful hiking (admittedly, much of it covered in cannabis plants). With a late afternoon flight, you could travel from Chefchaouen direct to Tangier airport.

Just as an after thought, the countryside surrounding Midelt is very rewarding for the intrepid traveler/hiker.

Regards,
Darren Humphrys
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for both responses. I had NO idea what Chef was known for ... having said that, I probably could get my husband to skip Chef in favor of Fes! I kid, I kid.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 03:05 AM

i had an amazing trip more or less the same itinerary with www.adrartravel.com and instead of Midelt we went directly to the desert of merzouga and we spent two nights there was amazing experience. we also spend one night in Fes and a guided tour for a half day, i think it's not a thing to be missed
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 06:24 AM

Dear Shery,
I have a better itinerary for you with nine nights instead of 8.
If you arrive Casablanca go directly to Chefchaouen for one night-the next 2 nights in Fes-onto Marrakech for 3 nights because aren't enough in Marrakech you'll know why when you visit it,then onto Merzouga for one night in a bivouac tent,then onto Skoura for one night,and Essaouira for your last night and depart from Casablanca.
Let me know what do you think as I have wonderful recommendations for your accommodation in each city.
I don't think they allow me to give you names on this forum let me know your email or facebook and I can write to you.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 06:59 AM

Sheryl, we've probably painted an unnecessarily bad picture of Chefchaouen. It's not "full of potheads" and you won't feel like you've entered some kind of hellish hashish haven (hmmm...try to say that when you're stoned), it's just that it is easier to indulge in Chefchaouen than in many other stops on the 'tourist trail'.

Sahbi lamiab, you have been trying to get business ever since you joined this forum. The itinerary you mention to SherylZR makes no (geographical) sense and involves some very long driving days.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 09:56 AM

For those interested in Chaouen, have a look at a recent NYT article, " A Stroll by the Casbah in Northern Morocco", Jan. 4, 2015. I myself made an award-winning photo there quite by chance. But, for me, the most interesting thing about the place was that I saw khlii drying on the clotheslines along with the clothes. I lived in Maroc for 5 yrs but never saw khlii being prepared. Of course, I also have photos of that.
Old Sep 16th, 2015, 10:39 PM

"It’s like being inside a Chagall painting." Great description of Chefchaouen. Thanks for the article, Bedar. Is there anywhere online that one can view your award-winning image?
Darren
Old Sep 19th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all - my head is spinning! I definitely want to go to Chef since it looks beautiful. I stand corrected on my response above - I meant to say that my husband would choose Chef above all else, now that we've been enlightened on the extracurricular activities! Thanks again!
Old Sep 19th, 2015, 04:42 PM

Just be sure to visit Fes above all other sites in Morocco !!
Old Sep 20th, 2015, 06:39 AM

Planning a journey in Morocco can certainly get a bit overwhelming, SherylZR. Keep posting your questions and thoughts and the right itinerary for you will become clearer, inshal'lah.
Yes, I thought that was what you meant (re: husband-Chefchaouen-leisure activity)
Old Sep 22nd, 2015, 07:34 AM

hello,I would suggest that you fly to Tangier,then travel to Chefchaouen.You can stay at Dar Meziana ,beautiful nice little Riad.You can have a local guide there to go for a walk (hiking--guieded tour) then you can travel to Fes,Merzouga---Todra---Skoura --Ouarzazate and Marrakech and fly back from Casablanca.
Abdeslam Mouden
Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 10:47 AM

In May of 2015 my my Father, His wife and I traveled the length and breadth of Morocco with our guide and new friend Youssef, of Expert Morocco Tours. We visited the Palaces and Mountains, ancient Kasbahs and the desert. Having always wanted to visit, Dad worked with Youssef, the elder, (Uncle to Youssef, our private driver), to create an incredible itinerary that still allowed the time to truly investigate all that Morocco has to offer.
The history and geology of this country is amazing and impressive and equally impressive is the generosity and welcoming manner of the Moroccan people. Youssef, the younger, was our driver and is incredibly knowledgeable, personable and hard working. He did everything one could ask for in terms of sights, photograph opportunities and fare. We could not have asked for a better trip to Morocco.
Morocco is a very safe country and Youssef has mastered English so we encountered no obstacles. He made every effort for our convenience and to enhance our experience.
if you have never been to Morocco, we highly recommend it, especially if Morroco Expert Tours manages the transportation and excursions. I would throw in that you should, without a doubt, spend a few days in Chefchaouen, amazing, beautiful place.
Old Sep 26th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

I'm in a pretty good spot (I think!) but getting a little stuck on where/how long to stay in the middle of the trip. We're flying into Tangier, then I have a tentative itinerary as follows (flights are booked, so, I've made it that far):
14-Nov Chef
15-Nov Fes
16-Nov Fes
17-Nov Erfoud (??)
18-Nov Merzouga - tent
19-Nov Todra Gorge
20-Nov Skoura
21-Nov Marrakesh
22-Nov Marrakesh (fly out of Marrakesh)
Based on the reviews of Midelt, we're going to skip that stop. I've read that the trip from Fes to Erfoud can take anywhere between 6-11 hours (I guess it depends on the length of the stop in Cedar Forest/monkeys). Does it make sense to stay in Erfoud? Reviews are mixed on this, versus going straight to Merzouga. Thanks much!!
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 10:39 PM

Well done SherylZR, your itinerary looks very do-able. We also often have the conundrum of having our travelers stop in Erfoud or continue on to Merzouga. In your particular itinerary, there are two considerations:
1. the time of year. The days can be quite short in November, and you may arrive in Merzouga as darkness descends;
2. your mode of transport. If you are travelling by private vehicle, then Merzouga can be 'pleasantly' reached in one day from Fès, whereas the bus journey (Supratours) takes around 11 hours and travels overnight.

I guided a group with a similar itinerary last November, and (from my notes) we departed Fès at 7:00am, stopped for 45 minutes around Azrou (for toilet/Barbary macaques), had lunch in Midelt (11:45am-1:15pm), a 15-minute photo stop at Tunnel Zaabal (Tunnel de Légionnaire) and 15-minute toilet stop in Er Rachidia, passed through Erfoud at

KM Time
06h00 - Luggage outside door; Breakfast
06h45 - Keys to reception, board coach
000 07h00 - Depart Fes
015 07h30 - Fes airport t/off
043 - Imouzzer - Middle Atlas altitude
- Cedar
- Dayats (crater lakes)
069 08h30 - Ifrane - King’s palace…how many?
088 08h45 to 09h15 - Azrou; toilet stop
09h30 to 09h45 - Barbary apes
103 09h50 - Habri t/off
145 - Flood plain; basic toilet/resto
173 - Boulaajoul; basic toilet/resto
180 11h00 - Zaïda - Ring Villa Midelt
210 11h45 to 13h15 - Villa Midelt; lunch 140dh
13h30 - Depart Midelt
231 - Entering High Atlas - views on both sides but mostly on LHS
looking back downwards
240 - Haut Orient N.P.; 1907m altitude
254 14h30 - De N’Zala - Basic cafe/toilet
286 15h00 - Er Rich - Afriquia and various cafes
297 15h15 - Auberge Kasbah Dounia - Toilets/drinks
304 - Bab Sahra Cafe
308 15h30 to 15h45 - Tunnel Zaabal - Photo stop
311 - Hotel Jurassique - Great views along here, beside
Oued Tamarecht
315 - Mud walled Kasbah - Begin to see dates
318 - Lay-bye - Photo stop
328 - Barrage Hassan Addakhil 30km length;
al-Hassan ad-Dākhil "The One who Entered") was a direct ancestor to Moulay Ali Cherif, founder of the Alaouite Dynasty, which is the current Moroccan royal family. He was taken to Morocco from the town of Yanbu in the Hejaz at the end of the 13th century by the inhabitants of Tafilalt to be their Imām. They were hoping that, as he was a descendant of Muhammad, his presence would help to improve their date palm crops thanks to his barakah.
344 16h45 to 17h00 - Afriquia - Toilets/drinks
348 - Acima Supermarket
- Er Rachidia
359 - Petrom/toilets
369 - Meski Oasis
380 - Ziz Palmeraie lookout
394 - Oasis du Tafilalt Ramsar
409 - Fossils; “T-Rex”
415 - Sand barriers
427 18h30 - Erfoud - Call Dar el Janoub
447 - Sijilmassa t/off
451 - Rissani diversion
484 19h30 - Hassi Labiad t/off
488 19h40 - Dar el Janoub
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 10:53 PM

Whoa...please disregard the above reply, SherylZR. I was half way through editing it when I pressed the wrong button.

Please read below....

Well done SherylZR, your itinerary looks very do-able. We also often have the conundrum of having our travelers stop in Erfoud or continue on to Merzouga. In your particular itinerary, there are two considerations:
1. the time of year. The days can be quite short in November, and you may arrive in Merzouga as darkness descends;
2. your mode of transport. If you are travelling by private vehicle, then Merzouga can be 'pleasantly' reached in one day from Fès, whereas the bus journey (Supratours) takes around 11 hours and travels overnight.

I guided a group with a similar itinerary last November, and (from my notes) we departed Fès at 7:00am, stopped for 45 minutes around Azrou (for toilet/Barbary macaques), had lunch in Midelt (11:45am-1:15pm), a 15-minute photo stop at Tunnel Zaabal (Tunnel de Légionnaire) and 15-minute toilet stop in Er Rachidia, passed through Erfoud at 6:30pm and arrived at Hassi L'bied (a village just before Merzouga) at 7:40pm and in the dark. It must be said that this was a large group that travelled in a coach, so the travel time will be a little quicker should it just be you and your husband in a private vehicle.

My suggestion for what it's worth...if it's just the two of you in a private vehicle, then go all the way to the desert dunes and enjoy a relaxed wake-up the following day without having to get back in the vehicle again. Then take it slow on your way back to Erfoud (on the drive to Todra Gorge), with possible visits to Rissani (there's a couple of great roadside cafe-tents just before the town, which sell milk straight from the camel, so to speak), the ruins of Sijilmassa, and a fossil factory/museum in Erfoud.

Darren Humphrys