Reload this Page >

EGYPT, JERUSELEM AND TURKEY ITINERARY??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 01:25 AM
Bridget

We are planning a family vacation this August. We have narrowed our choices to 2 cruises. One visits the Greek Islands ONLY, the other stops for a day each in Cairo, Jeruselem,Istanbul and Kusadasi and ALSO the Greek Islands. <BR> I am tending towards the second cruise but wonder if it would be wise to take two teens to these ports. Would they see enough of each port in the 12 hours we are touring? Is it safe in these areas? What would you do? Have you been in any of these places? Are there cites that are must sees close to the ports? Please help!! Thanks!

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 08:23 AM
John

Hi Bridget, <BR>Neither Cairo nor Jerusalem are on the sea, Cairo several hours, Jerusalem a couple from the nearest ocean port. So there will be considerable time lost in each stop for transport to/from the cities. In August, any touring of these cities on foot (unavoidable in Jerusalem) is going to be hothothot.

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 10:30 AM
Angela

Do you have to go in August? Greece and Turkey will be PACKED with tourists. Sept is really beautiful (not quite so hot) and a lot fewer tourists (and you can still swim). If you only have 12 hrs in Istanbul then you might want to take a tour offered by the cruise - jsut to see the main sites. At Kusadasi the biggest thing is to see Epheses - incredible old Roman city - I highly recommend it. Your teens will love seeing both Turkey and Greece - and they are very safe.

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 10:38 AM
Michele

A cruise that stops for Jerusalem?? I assume you will be docking in Haifa? If so, it will be at least 2-2 1/2 hours just to get to Jerusalem. You can spend a week in Jerusalem and not see or do all there is to do. 12 hours is just not enough time. (Although, Jerusalem is a very safe city) <BR> <BR>I would suggest you take the first option (with maybe an additonal few days for Istanbul??), and plan on saving Jerusalem for when you might have more time to spend there. <BR> <BR>Hey, a cruise to the Greek Islands sounds way cool to me!! <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 07:51 AM
Paula

Not knowing the tastes of the family and the ages of the teens makes it difficult to make a knowledgeable recommendation. However, the second option with 12 hour stops would give you just a hodgepodge of various sites none of which you will enjoy because of the crowds and the heat. <BR> <BR>Does the vacation have to be a cruise? ALthough I know that cruies can be relaxing, I am not sure that that is what active teens would enjoy. I would opt for a vacation that is more land based - if you are concentrating on Greece thro in a cruise but stick to land to see the sights. <BR> <BR>August tends to be the busiest month for touring and the crowds will be overhwleming especially with the millenium. <BR> <BR>I would rethink this cruise only option though and also try for early spring before the summer hordes strike the Mediterrean.