Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mashatu--Part of Botswana or South Africa trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who have been to Mashatu, can you tell me how you got there? Was your stay part of a Botswana trip or part of a South Africa trip? Or both?

If I wish to visit Mashatu, on which itinerary should I include it--A Sabi Sands itinerary or a Northern Botswana itinerary? Thank you.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I stayed at the Mashatu Tent Camp in 2003 and only visited South Africa and Mashatu that year. I hired a guide to drive me and went to Mabula, Mashatu and two private game farms. (My first solo trip to Africa.)

I tried to work Mashatu in with a trip to MalaMala in 2004 but my time was short and I couldn't get it worked out. It's not real easy to get to Mashatu if I remember correctly. The flights are on certain days and priced for 2 people.

I haven't checked into getting there from other airports in Botswana so can't help you there.

Most of the pictures in this album are from Mashatu. The warthogs and the ones with the red dirt are not. http://www.pbase.com/cjw/south_africa_2003&page=all I certainly remember that Daniel was the guide there and Solomon was the spotter. Great guys. I think we saw leopards on every game drive.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 04:05 AM

I stayed at Mashatu Tented Camp several years ago and drove there from the Sabi Sand area. It was part of a South African trip. Mashatu is just over the border in Botswana, and we parked our car in a secure area on the SA side. Mashatu picked us up at the carpark and transferred us to the camp. Thought it was a great place and have always wanted to go back.

Leann
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:31 AM

The only info I have is this:

http://www.game-reserve.com/botswana_mashatu.html

(the site is one of my favourite bookmarks for early stage Africa trip planning)
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Went there after Chiefs in 2003. We flew Chiefs to kasane, then Air Bots to Limpopo Valley. We were supposed to fly on to Joburg and home, but our plans changed. First they reduced the air schedule so instead we arranged a ground transfer, then we decided that Mshatu was good, but we really wanted to go to Mala Mala as well, so the staff rearranged our ground transfer to get us to Mala Mala for two days then we flew back to Joburg and home.
The ground transfer was through Green Rhino, but any agent will have a suitable company. It took about 6.5 hours.
We left Mashatu after breakfast (missed morning drive) but the waterhole by camp was teeming with life so that was great. Driven to border post, waited for it to open at 8:30 I believe. Picked up on SA side and driven to MM. An enjoyable day, our driver was a very good guide to boot and we talked at great length. Had a couple of quick stops for bathroom, petrol etc. Arrived MM around 3pm, time to check in and head out on a game drive.

Mashatu was great value, with terrific game viewing, we saw lots of Leopard and Lion there.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. It does indeed to be quite the bargain.