Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Where to go and where to stay in Tanzania??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 07:08 AM
Billy

I would like to hear from anyone who's been on a safari to Tanzania in February. <BR>I am planning a trip next year but would need some advice. I know that there are nice lodges (Serena and Sopa) in the parks but I would also like some suggestions for nice camps in the game parks(preferably the Serengeti) I've seen Kibo camp mentioned but I don't know if it's a nice camp. I'm not after luxury camping but I'd prefer it to have a reasonable standard,but the location is most important. <BR>Any other suggestion for an itinerary and recommended tour operators would be very welcome.

Old Nov 21st, 2000, 05:23 PM
April

I can't advise you on Tanzania in February or about 'nice' camps as I didn't stay at any but I did enjoy visiting Gibbs coffee farm, which apparently is now a lodge. If you're interested in the Masai, you might want to spend some time where they are - we saw them most around Lake Natron. Swahili isn't their language but gestures work well... although I liked it when we just blabbered on in our own languages as if we understood each other. <BR> <BR>You might consider staying at a lodge on the rim of the Ngorongoro. Animal viewing is close-up in the crater - unfortunately there are also more people. <BR> <BR>Zanzibar is another place I'm glad I didn't miss.

Old Nov 23rd, 2000, 06:17 AM
Bert

I travelled with Kibo Safaris in Tanzania in March/April this year; inspected practically every lodge and camp on the northern circuit in Tanzania. Stayed at several Serena Lodges and liked them well enough, for what they are, essentially hotels in the bush. We also checked out several tented safari camps, such as Halcyon's Migration Camp, and ConsCorp's Grumeti River Camp. These and other similar camps are all quite luxurious. <BR> <BR>Another option is mobile tented camping, which is ideal because you are away from the big lodges, and enjoy a lot of privacy in campsites (such as in the Ndutu area) which are close to the migrating herds of wildebeest & zebra. <BR>While it is not luxurious, it is still a rather expensive option, comparable in price with the luxury lodges. <BR> <BR>Have a look at my Tanzania trip report posted somewhere on this board. There are also several other Tanzania trip reports with very useful advice.

Old Nov 27th, 2000, 09:13 AM
bly

Billy: We stayed at the Serengeti Serena lodge in April 99. It was clean, comfortable and very nice. We also stopped by what I think was the Sopa Lodge - built into the rocks - its described in several tour books. It was more atmospheric but less modern facilities. I think either would be fine though. We also stayed in the Ngorongoro Crater Lodge - by far the coolest place I've ever stayed. We definitely would go back and book more days there. email me with questions. b

Old Dec 4th, 2000, 03:25 PM
Fay

Billy: My husband and I are going to Tanzania on Jan 14 for two weeks. We will be staying at four different tented camps. I will let you know when we return on Jan 24. <BR> <BR>Fay

Old Dec 5th, 2000, 01:36 AM
Billy

Fay, <BR>I would be very interested in hearing your travel report. <BR>Which camps have you choosen to stay in during your trip? <BR>Which tour operator are you using?

Old Dec 7th, 2000, 02:30 PM
Fay

Billy we will be staying at the Kirawira lodge, Ngorongoro Lodge, Serengeti Serena Lodge and Mtn. Village Lodge. Will let you know once we return. We booked with Forum Travel International ask for Franco. We have used them in the past they booked our Galapagos Islands and Costa Rica trip. They have a web sight and deal in unusal travel (www.foruminternational.com). Will let you know about Tanzania when we return. <BR> <BR>Fay

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 09:44 AM
Melissa

We just spent a week in Tanz as part of our honeymoon. We booked through African Portfolio because they were able to plan our whole trip (Tanzania and Seychelles). They did a super job. We had no problems - oh except for having to bribe the customs agent to let us into Tanz, as my husband's yellow fever card simply did not have the date of the vaccine hand written in by the doctor. Frustrating. We stayed at Crater Lodge and Klein's Camp. Crater Lodge was amazing; from the stunning setting atop the Crater rim to the incredibly friendly, competent staff to the food, the room (and fireplace and bathtub and rosepetals everywhere). "Africa Lite" is how we described it. We kept looking at each other and giggling like kids. Down in the Crater, the animals are so used to vehicles, that they barely move. In a single afternoon we saw "everything" except for leopard and cheetah. Klein's was really nice - more rustic, which was more our speed than the "over the top" Crater Lodge. Klein's only has about 8 or 10 cottages, communal dining and bar area makes for great conversations with other travellers. The highlight of Klein's is the night driving. Since Klein's is on private land, they will take you out and drive around at night (when the cats are most active). It sure sends chills down your back to be sitting in an open-air vehicle, in the dark, engine off, peering through the bush to a gorgeous leopard and hearing it crunching the bones of its hartebeast kill. Yeow! Again, great staff and food. We would chat with the staff to get to know what their lives are like. What wonderful people. OK - I am daydreaming. We were there in early Oct. After Tanz we went to the Seychelles. Will post that seperately.

Old Dec 9th, 2000, 11:16 PM
april

Interesting to hear that customs is still pulling that yellow fever trick.

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 10:07 AM
lisa

Melissa -- Curious what the weather is like in Tanzania in October-December and whether this is considered a good time of year for game viewing.

Old Dec 12th, 2000, 01:07 PM
melissa

October was great: dry and short grass made for good game viewing. Animals were concentrated around water sources. Temp at Crater was 50 to 60's, Serengeti was 60 to 70. I am not positive, but I think some rains come in towards Dec, Jan & Feb - anyone know for sure? (Rains make roads nearly impassable we were told)

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 04:03 AM
Riche

Hi Billy <BR>We are African safari and expedition operators. <BR>Please visit our website at: www.tourism.to <BR>Feb is a good time in east Africa although the peak season is July/Aug. The rains come in Apr/May and again in Oct. <BR>We operate both camping and lodge based safaris. <BR>In Tanzania the camp sites are very basic, while the lodges and luxury Tented Camps tend to be upmarket. There is nothing in between these to options. <BR> <BR>Please writye to me if you need more information or assistance <BR>Best wishes <BR>Riche du Plessis

Old Feb 8th, 2001, 12:25 PM
Fay

Billy we just returned from Tanzania on Jan. 27, 2001. It was a great trip saw lots of wildlife and birds. The best lodge by far was the Ngorongoro Conservation Lodge just seeing the place was a treat. The best wildlife was Serengeti Natl. park. Worst was western serengeti, it was wet and the flies got the best of us. Predators Safari did a great job. <BR> <BR>Fay