Search

Canning Kruger's Elephants

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canning Kruger's Elephants

Latest article on despicable acts of some wealthy Americans while in S.A.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200407090679.html

It's amazing what some people with no heart or morals will do for a few bucks.

Hopefully this will be put to an end real soon!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Hey tuskerdave,
Wow. Pretty intense story. It is such a shame how man destroys lives of animals without a blink of an eye. I will never understand it.

But don't rule out going to S.A. because of a few bad apples. It is a beautiful country with lots to see and enjoy. There are many conservationists that want to preserve the wildlife.

Just as bad things happen in S.A., the same happens in other countries in Africa. I'm sure you've noticed that by visiting the All Africa website.

All I can say is that it is terrible how with the problems going on in Africa already, some of our wealthy fellow Americans have nothing better to do than to stoop to the level to pay to kill a defenseless animal. I just don't see what kind of satisfaction it could bring!

I'm sure the same fate will befall them someday, maybe not in this lifetime, but it will!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 10:57 AM

Hi, that day can not come soon enough!!
david
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 08:21 PM

Sorry...didn't realize I was copying and pasting the same article that Divewop originally linked.
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 09:20 PM

Roccco

There are too many elephants in Kruger and that's a fact,how to deal with this problem is another story.In Kruger they have tried relocation,contraception all which have failed miserably.

The KNP and surrounding private reserves are conservation success stories,managing wildlife better than any other African country I'm aware of.

Let us get all the facts here before we get too emotional about this topic.

.'' Breeding herds of elephants need about 1 500ha per elephant''.

I would like to know from anyone on this forum how they would solve the overpopulation problem regarding Kruger's elephants.

Old Jul 11th, 2004, 03:55 AM

For me thats easy. Give them more room. What ever peoples are around the parks or cutting off corridors. Kick em, and ship em out. Man has over populated and raped the land everywhere. We put these beasts in in this position. Now it's ok to do this kind of act. Talk about man not having any soul. Or even culling, which is no more than legal murder.
Man is too lazy to fix what they had caused. But not lazy when it comes to just pulling a trigger. Maybe they have tried a few things. I say they haven't tried hard enough or enough times.
We are in the way, we caused it, the eles have been through enough HELL. It's not fair they have to keep paying over an over again. We are supposed to be the thinkers and the smart ones. Walking up-right and all that. Lets act like it.
Then on the other hand. Look how we treat each other. Not so good really.
Has anyone seen old video on culling?
I have seen it many yrs ago. It was something I will never forget. I froze and wanted to put the TV through the window. Even now thinking about it. It's a sick act. How can people sleep at night!
Some travel forum huh?
David
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

I guess another good question to ponder is:

How do we control the overpopulation of man?

The main reason that there is "overpopulation" of animals in certain areas is not because of the animals breeding but because man is encroaching on their habitats more and more and chasing the animals out. This in turn leaves the animals no where to go.

IMHO man needs to get a grip on our own "breeding problems" and then maybe we can find a solution to having less and less areas for the wild animals to roam. And remember, they were there first. There has never been problems until the 20 and 21st centuries when our own population growth skyrocketed.

Why should have to suffer the wrath of canned hunts, poaching, contraception, and culling because man cannot control the rate of the human birth explosion in the world?

PBS had a special on this matter a few months ago. If statistics are correct, by the middle of this century, the human population will have jumped from six billion to nine billion people.

Not only will that bring suffering to more and more people, the show also raised concerns about the devastating effects it will have on wildlife.

So while we are getting facts straight, let's get to the bottom of the issue and find out why this indeed has become the problem it has today.

I for one, don't enjoy living in a world where the animals continually have to pay the price for man's mistakes.
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Nobody wants to hear the truth about MAN'S over populations. They can't deal or want to deal with that. Just keep it going and going.
In KENYA people are complaining about some Eles. KENYA ony has about 25,000! Before that , about 170,000! Guess why so few now. I believe they have had enough. A corridor was cut off from SHIMBA to TSAVO. In SHIMBA, there are too many. So guess what. KILL THEM OR MOVE THEM. The kws wants to move them. They feel it is not good practice to CULL. It does not make sense to kill something the KWS has been trying to protect. Also the world out-cry! I for one was trying to start something by buying up a strip of the eles old land. Of course people are in the way ect ect. I would not care. Buy the land for twice whats it's worth. Kick em to SUDAN if they don't want wild animals around. See how they like that. Even in that case. People made the mistake of cutting off the path.
They are going to move the eles some time in OCT. TSAVO is huge!!
The locals who complain, I'll trade places with them for awhile. See how they like the RAT RACE in AMERICA. With nothing but a handful of birds around.
Like I said, if they don't want the wildlife around. Move! Go to some country that has nothing. There are plenty of those around now. More on the way.
Incase anyone is wondering. My wife and I have no kids. We want it that way. My mom lost two in between my brother an I. It was supposed to be that way. My Dad had gotten sick. Because of my Mom busting his chops about getting treatments. He suffered for 2yrs! He died anyway. Again it was supposed to be that way. Not the 2yrs he suffered. But about 2yrs earlier he was suppose to pass on.
Is there no slowing down? Don't want to be alive when the crap hits the fan at full steam.
david