Search

Kruger or Chobe

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 06:14 AM
Joyce

Kruger or Chobe

<BR> We need help making choices. <BR>Have six nights to spend in Cape Town, before or after, we would like to see Vic.Falls. We can go to Vic. Falls and Kruger or Vic.Falls and Chobe. <BR> <BR> This would be sometime in early Nov. (too rainy?) I realize they are two different experiences from readings. However, if you had to make a choice, which would it be? Would really appreciate your imput. Kruger would be less expensive. <BR> <BR> Thank you very much! <BR> <BR> Joyce <BR>

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 07:37 AM
Penelope

Given the choice of Kruger or Chobe, I would choose Kruger and, in particular, Honey Guide Camp, which is really outside the main park itself. My husband and I have been there three times, I believe, and we have seen not only the usual sights of a safari camp, but also the unusual that we have never seen elsewhere in all our African travels. I have also been at Mala Mala (by accident), but I far prefer Honey Guide. I was up at Chobe two summers ago, but stayed at a nice camp right across the river in the Caprivi Strip that is run by South Africans rather than on the Botswana side. We saw the animals from a boat, which gives a different perspective. I noticed that there seemed to be heavy land traffic in Chobe proper. One thing that I did not care for at Chobe were the large hotels and the consequent tour groups (we turned in our rental car at one of them and got a transfer across to the Caprivi Strip). Related to Chobe, if you are driving, consider spending a night at Nata, a nice oasis several hours south of Chobe. There are lots of birds right at the camp/motel there and a salt pan nearby. Be careful of speed in Botswana, however. There are speed traps in the middle of no where and I am the proud owner of a Botswana speeding ticket. Penelope

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 07:37 AM
Penelope

Given the choice of Kruger or Chobe, I would choose Kruger and, in particular, Honey Guide Camp, which is really outside the main park itself. My husband and I have been there three times, I believe, and we have seen not only the usual sights of a safari camp, but also the unusual that we have never seen elsewhere in all our African travels. I have also been at Mala Mala (by accident), but I far prefer Honey Guide. I was up at Chobe two summers ago, but stayed at a nice camp right across the river in the Caprivi Strip that is run by South Africans rather than on the Botswana side. We saw the animals from a boat, which gives a different perspective. I noticed that there seemed to be heavy land traffic in Chobe proper. One thing that I did not care for at Chobe were the large hotels and the consequent tour groups (we turned in our rental car at one of them and got a transfer across to the Caprivi Strip). Related to Chobe, if you are driving, consider spending a night at Nata, a nice oasis several hours south of Chobe. There are lots of birds right at the camp/motel there and a salt pan nearby. Be careful of speed in Botswana, however. There are speed traps in the middle of no where and I am the proud owner of a Botswana speeding ticket. Penelope

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 08:51 AM
carolyn

Have you considered Pilanesburg? It's smaller and they run a great tour. Stayed there in June and loved it.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 08:22 AM
Penelope

The place my husband and I stayed in the Caprivi Strip two years ago was the Ichingo Chobe River Lodge, reached by transfer from Kasane. The monster hotel where we returned our rental car was the Mowona Lodge, a blight on the <BR>landscape because it is out of scale for the environment.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 06:24 PM
Alexandra

We were in Chobe and in Kruger last March. I think that they are different from each other. We were for 4 nights at Kruger and then we flew to Victoria Falls for 3 nights. We took a one day tour to Chobe from Vic Falls. ANd it was great. I liked Kruger a little more because of the type of vegetation and hills, but I saw more animals, specially Elephants in Chobe. I think that either one will make your vacation very memorable. About Cape town, I was somewhat dissapointed. I live in Northern California and it had many similarities. It was still nice though,... Although if I went back, I would skip Cape Town and stay longer in Kruger or in Vic Falls. <BR> <BR>