Search

Abu Simbel worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abu Simbel worth it?

WAIT! Before you respond "YES you idiot!" let me explain my question. I have read the posts, looked at the photos but I have to confess to a nagging feeling that I will go there and think "okay, so that's it - let's go back now". So I just wanted to know if there is anyone out there who has been there but was unimpressed.

I can think of a few "must sees" that left me cold - but i won't start listing them or people will berate me for not enjoying those places.

So views on Abu Simbel much appreciated
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 01:34 PM

As one who also gets ragged at by family because of being unimpressed by places after all the hype - let me say Abu Simbel is NOT one of those. If the sight itself is not impressive enough, do some reading on the international effort and modern architectural wonder of moving the whole thing up the cliffs to avoid being flooded.

Plan to spend 2-3 hours - that's enough.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 02:09 PM
sandi

--- and the modern architectual movement wasn't near as good as the original. Modern man was off by one-day - one day for what? The origial was built so that the sun would shine into the deepest part of the Great Temple (where statues of the cult dieties sit). The correct days are February 21, Ramses II birthday and October 21, Ramses II Coronation; modern technology was off by one-day, whereby the sun now shines in on February 22 and October 22. And to think the original was built before the wheel!!!

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 04:32 PM

I agree with everyboby else - GO!
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:33 AM
katybird

This is an AMAZING site. I don't know how anyone could walk away and NOT be impressed. I assure you, you will not be sorry!I urge you to take Gail's advice and read about it before you visit if you haven't all ready.

Old Jul 31st, 2004, 06:54 AM

IMHO you'd be very sorry if you missed this amazing sight. GO! Let us know upon your return "if it was worth it".
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 05:49 PM

I've been to Abu Simbel twice. Once as a "quick day trip" after a Nile cruise. The second as part of a Lake Nasser cruise. The latter was definitely the more interesting visit since we were able to see the Sound and Light show (terrific!) and since we visited the temples in the late afternoon when most of the tourists are gone.

I found the site interesting, but let me comment on a few things that made our visits difficult.

Unless there have been major changes in the last 18 months (not likely given how slowly things get done in Egypt), there are no vendors selling water once you enter the temple area - so get some before you start. While this is also true of other sites, the walk here is much longer and the temperatures can be much higher.

Also, the restroom (WC) within the temple area was so bad, my husband would not let our sons go into it. So - "go" before you go!

Hope this helps.

Old Aug 5th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice - I will put it into the route - just the quick day trip approach. Will report back on whether it was "worth it" - I have made a note of all of your names