Binoculars--Nikon Premier LX comments?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Has anyone here used or tested the Nikon Premier LX binos? (I'm thinking 10X32, if that makes a difference.) They have gotten excellent reviews, but my local dealer doesn't seem to carry them, and I'm wondering if it is really worth looking farther afield for them, or ordering unseen.
Thanks!
Old Nov 8th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Hi,
I tried the Nikon premiers but I didn't like them because of the shaking blur. Canon has a 10 x30 with a built in image stabilizer @ REI.com for 439. I ended up buying Nikon 9x25 for my up coming safari. The 8x didn't seem to get me close enough. I tried just about everything out there and spoke to numerous people before buying the 9x25's. They give me good clean views of birds and some nice detail plus they're nice and light - a little bigger than a compact size. Hope that helps.
Sherry
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 12:37 PM

I can't comment on the specific make, but my recommendation would be to try and get 10*40 if possible. The second number refers to the amount of light let in and really helps at dusk on safari.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:18 PM

Hello,
Napa's right about the 2nd # letting in more light. This, as suggested can be a good thing at dusk but may present a problem during full light. The problem with the larger #'s though is that the larger both viewing #'s generally the more distortion and shake you may experience. You may be able to overcome that however, if you are willing to spend extra $ on a built in stabilizer. This was the main reason that I chose the 9x 25 but everyone is different. Another consideration, is the actual size of the binoc. that your willing to cart around and have hanging from your neck possibly for hours. You also want to look for a pair that you can readily adjust without having to constantly adjust/realign - this seems to be a problem for some of the smallest compacts and the larger sized binocs. Some binocs. are designed to accommmadate the thickness and visual aid from your eye glasses as well. Personally, I would advise to go to a few stores and try as many pairs as possible - outside - some stores have nice visual aids inside to look at as well. A few stores will even let you purchase and return - REI is one. You may also try entering my screen name and pulling up some of the responses to my question about binocs. from awhile ago.
More confusing food for thought;
Sherry
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I should have mentioned that I already have a good pair of 10X42 and am planning to keep them. I just was hoping to find something a bit smaller & lighter. I realize that the 32s won't be as bright, & that's why I was afraid to go for a real compact model. I am happy holding the 10X42s without wobbles, but there are times I don't take them because they are just a bit too much to stash in my bag.

Now this raises an interesting point I hadn't considered: will the wobble be more of a problem if I do go to a smaller pair (32s) without IS?

Thanks again
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Hmmm. Good question. I found anything over 30 to have shake, you however, may be different. The Nikon premier LX seemed to have some shake blur, I found the Canon with the IS to be a little better but too costly for me - how much are you willing to pay? Also, I guess one has to consider that there may be other stuff on safari to consider that may contribute to extrordinary conditions such as moving vehicles and wildlife, dust,unusual light conditions etc. Will you be birding?
Sherry
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi Sherry,
I'm not a birder, but definitely would be using these for birds some of the time. It is really sounding like I will either have to find a dealer that stocks these, or find a mail/internet dealer that allows returns. It sounds like nothing will substitute for getting them into my hands and trying them. Thanks, everyone, for the comments.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 06:52 PM

I bought used on eBay at a reduced price. A pentax 8x42 and a Nikon 8x42. A 10 will shake more than an 8 or 9 and the 42 means more light at low light and remember you will be going out before dawn and out again until dusk both times when there is low light. Do not buy a zoom, they are not very good for Africa, ok for football games.