Search

Extra malarone?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra malarone?

Hi! Anybody have any ideas on what to do with the leftover Malarone from our trip? I guess I should have left it in Africa...I could just drop it at the pharmacy, but they would destroy it, and it's so expensive I hate to waste it! I was hoping there might be a charity that could use it-or just a traveler in need. I have 21 pills left, since it upset my husband's stomach.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 10:07 AM

No chance you return to a malaria area and swallow it then - not your husband?
Maybe someone in your neighborhood would happily take it - against a small "gift" (I know it's forbidden to SELL it!).

SV
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 01:06 PM

If the Pharmacy takes, they'll only destroy/dispose of. The pills are good for a few years and there is malaria in other areas of the world. Hold onto them and use if you head to South America, Southeast Asia, other... you've got at least 21/tabs. Mark the date on the package.

It's against the law to sell, unless you "gift" it to someone who needs them.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 01:12 PM

You must immediately plan another trip to a malaria area to use the pills.

If you will never use them it is better to give them to a pharmacy then just flush them. Drugs disposed of in this manner are affecting the environment.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:14 PM

Aren't you suppose to keep taking them??? I was given as many pills as I had days traveling plus about 10 extra and also given strict instructions to keep taking them when I got home till they were all gone. Check with your dr.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 07:12 PM

Any nearby universities have summer program in Africa? What about church mission programs? Even if your church doesn't have them, they might know of other church/es in the area that organize short-term mission trips to Africa. Of course you want to be sure the recipient of the "gift" learns how to take them properly. Or follow Sandi's or Lynn's advice and start saving for another trip to a fascinating (but malaria endemic) country!
Old Dec 4th, 2010, 04:55 PM
AQ1

I'll be traveling to a malaria country in february if you're interested in gifting them to a traveler. Thank you