Search

Must take?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 04:46 AM
olivia

Must take?

We are planning our 9 day safari in Kenya mid-late March. Any suggestions on things we "must take"? Things you wished you had on your trip, or things you were grateful that you had remembered to pack? Cotton or lightweight travel clothing? Animal/bird guidebooks? Thanks!

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 04:59 AM
Nancy

First of all, I am a major proponent of zip-off pants. REI has them, Travelsmith and now even Target they come in cotton or synthetic. I prefer the latter as they are lighter and easier to pack and you can wash them out in a sink and they dry really fast) . Buy a couple pair - they are gerat - wear them long in the morning on an early game drive and zip them off into shorts as the sun gets high . Do the resrves on late afternoon game drives. Number one thing I would take! Travel as light as you can. Be sure to take a warm sweater or polar fleece zippy jacket. Binoculars are a must, lots of film (and an extra camera batttery) if you are an intrepid photog. A good bird book. Sandals (I wear them all day on safari because usually there isn't much walking and they are cooler than sneakers). Swimsuit. Some packable "broomstick" skirts (the kind that are sort of pleated and roll up) and long sleeved t-shirt tops for evening. A sun hat& sun glasses, sunscreen, mosquito repellant and malaria meds. Some Pepto caplets and Immodium (just in case. Hva a great time- you'll love it! Maybe some Bic pens for kids. Extra tshirts for trading never hurts, if you have room.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 09:39 AM
buck

Hi Olivia, <BR>We are leaving for Kenya on March 16th from San Francisco via London. Going with Go Aheah Vacations African Safari. When are you leaving and whom are you booked with? I have done lots of background work for this trip. If you want more info on health, food, lodging, clothes, flights, so on will gladly give to you. You can reach me at ([email protected]) Happy travels, Buck

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 06:45 PM
olivia

We booked via e-mail with Let's Go Travel in Nairobi--recommended by Frommer's budget magazine (recently had an article on how to book safaris directly), Lonely Planet and others. They had the best response and reasonable price to our inquiries: Masai Mara and Sweetwater for game drives, Lake Nakuru, Naivasha, Lake Baringo, and Lake Borgoria for birding--about $1100 each for four people for 9 days, all accomodations and meals, driver/guide etc., and we do not have to share the vehicle.

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Jerald

Olivia, Can you give me the web site &/or e-mail address you used to book your trip? thanks

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 08:50 AM
olivia

Contact information for our March trip: <BR>Simon Kibabu <BR>Let's Go Travel <BR>ABC Place, Waiyaki Way. <BR>P.O. Box 60342, <BR>Nairobi. Tel Nos.: 254-2-447151/254-2-441030 <BR>Fax: Nos. 254-2-447270/254-2-441690 <BR>E-mail: [email protected] &lt;mailto[email protected]&gt; <BR>E-mail: [email protected] &lt;mailto:[email protected] <BR>Website: www.letsgosafari.com &lt;http://www.letsgosafari.com&gt; <BR>

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 08:56 AM
bobby grace (buck)

Hi Olivia, <BR>Sounds like you got a good deal. What did you pay for your air tickets and with whom and what route? Just curious as to the flights. Have a wonderfur trip and thanks for the flight info. Buck

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 01:48 PM
olivia

We are using U.S. Airways frequent flier miles on Sabena through Brussels-just had to pay for one fare roundtrip D.C.-Brussels (didn't quite have enough miles for two people to get to Nairobi). Nice part is that Sabena allows us to have a stopover with no extra charge.