Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Thread For Special Deals, Bargains, Etc. in Southern Africa...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(My apologies for those frequenting North Africa, East Africa, Central Africa and Western Africa) Start your own thread! <BR><BR>
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Tsala Treetop Lodge, a great looking lodge just outside of Plettenberg Bay and along the Garden Route is currently offering 4 nights for the price of 3.<BR><BR>The price is 3,560 ZAR (at this date about $450 USD) per night for 3 nights with the 4th night free.<BR><BR>The special is offered right on their website: www.tsala.com<BR><BR>The specific location to view the special is: www.tsala.com/special.htm<BR><BR>As the travel agent I am working with described perfectly, &quot;Tsala is like Singita without the animals.&quot;<BR><BR>Tsala is owned by the same owners as Hunters Country House and Gorah Elephant Camp, both very highly esteemed places. It is a proud member of the Relais &amp; Chateaux chain (as is Singita and a couple other top notch places in South Africa).<BR><BR>I was perfectly content to save the Garden Route for a future trip until I saw Tsala Treetop after Selwyn's recommendation and now I feel like my trip would not be complete without it!
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

By the way, Southern Africa, as I understand it includes:<BR><BR>South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Zambia.
Old Mar 28th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Another great deal and one that I was able to take advantage of last year:<BR><BR>Mount Nelson Hotel in Cape Town. Last minute special:<BR><BR>Last Minute Special<BR>For a minimum of 3 nights (cannot be booked more than 14 days in advance):<BR><BR>• Superior Room at R2550.00 (bed &amp; breakfast) - Regular Rate is 4,660 ZAR<BR><BR>• Luxury Room at R2900.00 (bed &amp; breakfast) - Regular Rate is 5,360 ZAR<BR><BR>• Junior Suite at R3300.00 (bed &amp; breakfast) - Regular Rate is 6,990 ZAR<BR><BR>Subject to availability. <BR><BR>_______________________________________<BR ><BR>The website is:<BR><BR>www.mountnelsonhotel.orient-express.com/ <BR><BR>The Mount Nelson seems like a big enough hotel that if you are going anytime but in December or January that you will have an excellent chance to book a room at last minute rates.<BR><BR>Of course, the Mount Nelson is still expensive at last minute rates, but I really liked it. Where else can you enjoy an elegant high tea in Africa???
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 04:13 PM
LizFrazier

Just in case this is the thread for special deals. I just got an email from Africam (www.africam.com) and they are running some specials on lodging in Africa. Kenya, Botswana, South Africa, Uganda, just about all of it. Not all camps, but this just may sway some people to plan now.<BR>Some of the periods end this month, some the end of June, at least one goes till December end.<BR>Go to: http://www.africam.com/members/beds.jsp?and check it out if you're interested. You may need to register first, but its free.<BR>We have used this site for a few years to view livecams in different parts of South Africa.<BR>These rates seem good. I've been following Kanana because they have a new Heronry there I haven't seen. Can't go now, but at least I found another site for deals. It also included Tsala Tree Tops. How's that for being timely, Rocco?<BR>Good luck if you can use it. Liz

Old Mar 29th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Liz,<BR><BR>Thanks for the link. Unfortunately the deal on Tsala expires a couple weeks before I will arrive.<BR><BR>Unless it is a typo, there are some great rates such as Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge for 3,750 ZAR per room per night (not per person per night sharing) through 10/31/03. That is less than $500 USD per night. For anybody that only has three nights or so for safari from Cape Town or Joburg, that is a great opportunity for a first class game lodge.<BR><BR>I am getting so close to my trip that I am considering having my agent just leaving a 4 night gap open at the end of my trip and I will get better bargains than he ever would.<BR><BR>I am still looking for the right place for a 2 night stay to combine with a 2 night stay at Phantom Forest or Tsala Treetop.<BR><BR>
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Luxury Link right now has a variety of South African packages, including a 9 night Cape Town/Garden Route package, a 4 night Ngala Private Game Lodge package, and a 10 night Joburg/Botswana/Cape Town package.<BR><BR>These packages include only the best hotels including The Mount Nelson Hotels, Cellars-Hohenhort Hotel, Marine Hermanus Hotel, Westcliff Hotel, Michelangelo Hotel and The Plettenberg Hotel.<BR><BR>For example, the 10 night South Africa/Botswana package that includes 2 nights at The Westcliff Hotel, 4 nights in two separate Orient-Express game lodges in Botswana and 4 nights in Cape Town have been going for around $3,500 USD. This trip used to have a reserve price of $3,750 and I was in email correspondence with someone that paid $5,000 USD for it and loved the trip. I, myself, bid as high as $3,500 but that was when it still had a reserve.<BR><BR>The 4 nights at The Mount Nelson Hotel and the 2 nights at The Westcliff, both in Junior Suites, would cost $3,000 USD before even including the 4 nights in Botswana.<BR><BR>There is also a 6 night Tanzanian package on Luxury Link that includes 2 nights each at three separate lodges located in Tarangire, Ngorongoro and Serengeti.<BR><BR>So far, I have purchased two separate packages on Luxury Link. One was a 4 night stay at The Twelve Apostles Hotel, a 5* hotel in Camps Bay, Cape Town, in a seafacing luxury room. These rooms go for over $400 USD per night but I got my package for less than $600 USD for the four night stay.<BR><BR>My other package was a four night stay at The Michelangelo Hotel in Joburg for a four night stay in a Junior Suite, including airport transfers, breakfast daily and dinner one night. This package would have cost me over $1,200 USD but I got it for $600. As I found out after the fact, 4 nights in Joburg is just too long. I ended up shortening my stay to two nights but The Michelangelo was gracious enough to honor my request for an upgrade to a Premier 1-Bedroom Suite with free pay per view movies and internet access. This would have cost me around $800 USD, so I still made out okay.<BR><BR>I may be going to Vancouver, BC, Canada, next month in order not to waste some airline tix that expire in early July that I didn't use last year. Luxury Link also has great packages to Vancouver and other places all over the world, almost entirely in 4* and 5* hotels and lodges.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Wish this one would have been available before I bought my 4 night stay at The Twelve Apostles hotel:<BR><BR>www.sa-venues.com/accomodation/wc_special_offers.htm<BR><BR>&quot;Cape Migration package&quot;<BR> <BR>R 8,700 (gross) for four nights, two people sharing a luxury room at the boutique hotel, Cape Grace on Cape Town’s Waterfront: Valid 1 May - 31 August 2003<BR> <BR>Package includes: <BR><BR>Four night stay <BR>Full English and Continental Buffet breakfast <BR>Complimentary head and shoulder massage on arrival<BR>To ensure our guests are constantly surprised by our high levels of personalised service, the following little indulgences are included: <BR>Freshly made tea and coffee delivered to your room in the morning <BR>Cleaning and servicing your room at a time that is convenient for you <BR>Complimentary luxury transfer from the hotel to the city centre <BR>Wine tasting and an orientation to the Cape at 18h00 every evening - an informal and relaxing time to taste a varied selection of Cape wines, while gaining an insight into the diverse and rich history and culture of the Western Cape of South Africa <BR><BR>Stay 4 nights for the price of 3 at The Cape Grace Hotel.<BR><BR>It works out to about $275USD per night or about a $100 USD per night savings.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:53 PM
DE

Hi Rocco,<BR><BR>Those are some great savings. We are also confirmed now for our entire trip, air flights as well so no further changes will be made. Just wondering, when you have booked through Luxury Link are there any restrictions as to when you can travel or can these trips be taken whenever it is convenient for one to go. I am definitely considering using them for future vacations, but like the flexability of going when we choose to. I am amazed at some of the pricings and they always seem to be for upscale places and rooms, etc. Even saw some great deals including business class airfare. DE

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

DE,<BR><BR>My understanding about Luxury Link is that as long as the hotel/airline has availability, then you may book it. I don't think they just set aside a couple rooms or airline seats.<BR><BR>The thing I really like about Luxury Link is that their hotels are mostly 5* hotels, unlike the only other worthwhile auction website I have seen, www.skyauction.com. Skyauction.com has good prices on air sometimes but their hotels are not that great.<BR><BR>I did get a great 15 night package to China a couple years ago on Skyauction. It included all my air from Los Angeles, 5 nights in Beijing, 5 nights in Shanghai, 5 nights in Hong Kong, all breakfasts, about 9 full day tours (along with 9 lunches) and even a couple dinners. The accomodations were 3.5* - 4* hotels. The total price was only $1,200 USD per person!!! There were about 25 people on our 15 night tour, entirely North Americans whom had also bought their trip on Skyauction. Some had bought for below $1,000 USD per person. The tour company was Pacific Delights and had we bought the same trip on Pacific Delights website, it would have been about $500 USD per person more.<BR><BR>Skyauction has great packages to China and Thailand that can be had for a bargain. Definitely worth a look if you are considering Asia anytime soon.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:31 PM
DE

Hi Rocco,<BR><BR>Thanks for the scoop on Skyauction for the Orient. You obviously got an amazing deal. I have been to Beijing about 5 years ago and enjoyed my visit, especially the Forbidden City and the Great Wall. Stayed at the China World Hotel (5 star property) which was a very good hotel and conveniently located. I hope to travel there again and would like to see Shanghai next time as I've heard it is an interesting city with the old European influence and now the addition of the very modern architecture. I will definitely check out that site to see what they offer for pricings. I agree that Luxury Link has great appeal for us because of its 5 star accommodations and the pricings I have looked at can't be beat. Had we seriously looked into this resource before planning and booking our trip to Africa, I know that we would have saved quite a lot. Thanks again for the tip. DE

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 11:06 PM

Dear De,<BR><BR> Shanghai is supposed to be fantastic-my girlfriends' nephew goes to school there.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 01:32 AM
Original Poster

Right now www.africam.com is offering a great rate for the Lanzerac Manor in the Cape Winelands of only 919 ZAR per room per night.<BR><BR>Hopefully this is NOT another typo error as they had for their rate of 4000 ZAR per room per night for the Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge.<BR><BR>919 ZAR (about $120 USD) per room per night does seem VERY LOW for the Lanzerac Manor, one of the most expensive places in the Cape Winelands.<BR><BR>I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that my request for booking goes through.<BR><BR>That is the only worthwhile special I found currently listed on Africam (although about 25 more specials appear...I just didn't think the rates were that great for any except for Lanzerac Manor).
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

For anybody visiting Cape Town this year, there is an excellent 4 night package at www.luxurylink.com at the Twelve Apostles Hotel in Camps Bay, Cape Town. <BR><BR>It includes 4 nights in a luxury seafacing room, breakfast daily, afternoon tea one day and dinner one night.<BR><BR>The same room would sell for about $350 USD per night and likely wouldn't include breakfast and the other amenities.<BR><BR>I bought this same package for $555 USD a couple months ago and it is currently at $532 USD. The bid closes tomorrow and is an excellent bargain considering the prices for 5* hotels in Cape Town.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 12:08 AM

But remember that Twelve Apostles Hotel in Camps Bay, are being rebuild...as I read in WEB.<BR><BR>Filipa
Old May 26th, 2003, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

I received this email and thought it was a terrific bargain:

This is just to let you know that we have a special on at Kaingo and Mwamba
Bush Camp for the months of June and July. Our usual rate is $300 per
person per night however for these two months we are offering a fully
inclusive safari for $150 per person. This offer includes, accommodation,
meals, activities, drinks and National Park fees. Should you stay with us
for 6 nights or more we will offer you a further reduced rate of $120 pppn.

If you require any additional information please do not hesitate to ask.

Warmest Regards,
Kerri

SHENTON SAFARIS
KAINGO AND MWAMBA BUSH CAMPS
South Luangwa National Park - Zambia
www.kaingo.com

Had I not already booked with Kafunta for about $400 per night, I would have jumped on this offer. Those who are considering spending doube or triple the price in South Africa or Botswana
should instead consider Shenton Safaris. I have only read good things about Shenton Safaris and I had a very hard time deciding between Kafunta and Kaingo (Shenton Safaris).

You can literally spend six nights at Kaingo for less than a single night at Singita!!! Something to think about.
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

A couple really good specials on Africam.com right now:

South Africa - Royal Malewane
Normally 4,950 ZAR PP Now 3,713 ZAR PP until 30/09/03

While this sounds super expensive, this place is supposed to be second only to Singita. I met a nice Venezuelan couple last year at Singita and they actually preferred the Royal Malewane over Singita. As expensive as it is, the Royal Malewane is still only a little more than half the price of Singita. Singita is 6,800 ZAR per person per night sharing.

Other good specials:

Jaci's Safari Camp. Usually $560 Per Room Per Night. Now through August 31st it is only $420 Per Person Per Night.

I was fully prepared to stay at Jaci's Safari Camp but they quoted me over $500 per night just about six weeks ago and I ultimately went with Djuma Vuyatela instead (I love the private plunge pool in the bush!!!)

Jaci's Safari Camp is supposedly in an non-malaria area, if that makes any difference to anyone.
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Oops...that was a typo...Jaci's Safari Camp is $420 Per ROOM Per Night (not per person per night) when booked on Africam.com.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Matetsi Water Lodge, 50 kilometers away from the town of Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe is having their seemingly annual CIVIL WAR SPECIAL!

I was there last year, five days after Mugabe &quot;won&quot; the election and due to the possibility of Civil War, I paid the half price rate of $150 pp per night sharing. It was a terrific bargain and with the exception of one political rally that was very intimidating on our way from the airport to Matetsi, everything was calm.

Well, due to the renewed threat of Civil War, Matetsi is at it again! Only $150 pp per night sharing for those adventurous enough to play in Mugabe's backyard.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Here is the link from www.ccafrica.com

MATETSI GAME LODGES ? VICTORIA FALLS
Close to the breathtaking Victoria Falls and situated on the powerful Zambezi River, Matetsi Game Lodges represent the ultimate luxury African safari

Price: USD150 per person sharing per night

Date: 1 May to 30 June 2003

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -