Search

Leaving on Friday!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving on Friday!!!!

Gosh, I am so stressed out. We have so much to do before we leave for Amsterdam/South Africa on Friday. Unfortunately, we will have to bring both winter and summer clothes. But I guess that is the price you pay for a great vacation. Any last minute advice???
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 05:30 PM

Yes, the clothes thing. Are you flying both times thru Amsterdam? You could store your winter stuff in a locker at the Ams. airport and not shlepp.

- or do tons of layers. Thin fleece jacket, thin cashmere sweater, pashima (sp.) (good as pillow,wrap for body or head) and a nice pair of cashmere socks - good in any climate and so comfy. Been doing that for years. Got DH to do the same, although he won't do the pashima.

I leave my heavier clothes in the car for the horrid and cold ride home if needed.

Enjoy your trip!
Sherry
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 05:37 PM

Just have a GREAT time and don't worry about getting eaten by lions!! Let us know how your trip went and Happy Birthday to your husband
Aloha,
Dennis
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 03:55 AM
sandi

We did a stop over in AMS on one of our trips to Africa and the Seychelles; the latter we knew would be mild to hot. This trip was in late November and it was still mild when leaving NYC, though on our return it would be December. Knew it would cold in AMS, so traveled with mid-season anorak w/ fleece lining, jeans and a cotton crew sweater. Once in AMS, we simply added a thermal under, wore socks, gloves and the ever-present pashmina. Had an additional sweater for our second day in AMS, but rewore the rest (though clean wears and socks to change daily). Departing AMS was cold and were in the same attire.

Once in Africa, this heavy stuff was packed away on the bottom of our suitcase, not to be seen until our return to NY. Surpringly, when deplaning in NY the temp was almost 90-degrees. Weather, who knows.

But the thermal-Ts under for morning and evening game drives, as the socks and scarf and gloves.

Unless you have more than two days in AMS and really need more changes of clothing*, then pack your heavy clothing in a collapsible bag and store at the JNB airport to retrive before your homebound flight.

*We did a night at the theatre and dinners out while in AMS and wore the same clothing... as above. Black jeans work well anywhere!

Don't fret too much... it'll all work out. And do have laundry done in SA wherever you stop for at least 2-days.

Happy travels and EAT well!

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 08:55 AM

I was going to post precisely this same question -- what to do about our winter coats & clothes this February. We will leave from the US midwest, and spend a day and a half (two nights) in London before going on to South Africa.

We will be doing some driving and some flying while in South Africa. I had thought we'd take an extra fabric bag, put the winter stuff in it, and schlepp it. I don't much like the idea of using up space in the car trunk (boot, I know), and having an extra bag to check on the plane, though.

I looked into storing it at Heathrow, but the price was pretty high. Storing it at JNB didn't occur to me, but that sounds like a good idea. I'll check into it. Sandi, do you know how much it costs, and how secure it is?

Celia
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 09:11 AM

Don't know if either of you are using touring co. but mine starts and ends in Arusha with my co. transporting us to the airport and has offered to store extras at their incountry location free of charge.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 09:34 AM

posted before ready, Sorry.

Because I try for carry ons only, I love silk thermals - packs up thin and good for sweat control - figure it will be good for those morning/evenings in Africa and colder climes.

If you get black it can double as cami and be a nice combo with those black jeans. Add some new tanzanite/beaded attire - perfect.

My second theory is if I didn't bring I can buy it at location if desperate enough.

We are adventurous pioneer women after all.

Good luck;
Sherry
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:59 AM
bat

Andrea:
Have a great trip.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:37 AM
sandi

Celia -

There have been earlier threads about storage at JNB. Do a search and you should come up with details as to price, per hour/day, etc.

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 12:01 PM

Thanks, Sandi. I looked on the SA Airports web site, and found it's R50 for the first day, then R40 per day after that.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:42 PM

We have the same issue: 2 days in Amsterdam beginning 2/13 (avg. Feb. temp: 34 degrees!) before leaving for 10 days in Tanzania. Schiphol Airport has baggage storage in a lower level that seems to be less expensive than locker rental; you can check out the airport's website for details. I freeze, so I'm taking a fleece-lined parka, boots, gloves & hat (and the pashmina--I won't be cute but I'll be warm!) and a collapsible bag to leave all the winter stuff in at Schiphol. I'm taking only winter things I don't mind losing, as if the return flight from Tanzania is delayed, I figure I might not have time to retrieve my bag. Have a fabulous trip! Let us know how the clothing issue worked out for you.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Things are so insane this week that I forgot to check the site!! We are remodeling our bathrooms and still do not have a shower or bathtub to use! How can one possibly enjoy a safari when she has Moe, Larry and Curly laying marble while she is gone???

Anyway, I digress.
Thanks for the advice and well wishes. We definitely will document the entire trip.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Dr Andrea,

Just curious -- how did you get the invitation to stay for free at the Oberoi hotels in Egypt?

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Also, remember that many safari lodges will do your laundry for free, so you can refresh your clothes on safari. A lot of people say that the lodges won't launder "smalls" (I guess that means underwear), but we just toss everything in the basket and it comes back clean.

Other advice -- take more film than you think you'll need. Throw in an extra half dozen rolls -- it can't hurt.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again! Things are insane right now....not sure if I'll make it alive on the plane. Bathroom people are driving me up a wall.

To answer your question about the Oberoi, we had a little incident on our honeymoon when we stayed in the Oberoi at Mauritius. We stayed in a villa with a private pool. The bathroom had glass walls. Use your imagination and I am sure you will figure out why they made us that offer.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Andrea,

Is there a Pamela Anderson/Tommy Lee type video floating around?

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 01:13 PM

The bathroom Rocco, not the bedroom.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 01:20 PM

Michael,

I imagine the bathrooms are very romantic at a place like Oberoi Mauritius. Let's have a looksie:

http://www.mauritius.com/oberoi/view...ion%20bathroom

Yeah, that will do the trick!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 03:18 AM

OK doc, have a great trip and looking forward to your trip report with lots of beautiful photos!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 04:49 AM

Safe journey, joyful sightings!

Cyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -