Search

VISAS FOR EAST AFRICA???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VISAS FOR EAST AFRICA???

I know I need visas for my upcoming trip to Tanznaia and Kenya, the question is, is it easier to get them here in the states first (I am in L.A.) or to do just obtain them upon my arrival.

Thanks all.

Carol
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 10:43 AM

I got mine before I left. That way I had zero hassle at the other end when I arrived which was good as I had tight connecting flights. I know you can get the Kenyan on pretty easily but not sure about Tanzania.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 12:41 PM
sandi

Since many people prefer not to mail their passports to Embassy, Consultate or Tourism offices - even if by FedEx or Registed USMail, you can obtain both of these on arrival.

It's actually quit easy. Just download the Visa forms for both countries from their respective sites. Complete the forms and with your $50 (for each country), pay on arrival*. The desk for Visas (on arrival) are adjacent to the Immigration booths. Unless there is a long line, this shouldn't take more than a few minutes - then off you go to collect your bags.

* Photos are NOT required if obtaining in-country.

Old Nov 15th, 2005, 12:42 PM

We were in both countries in early October and got our visas upon arrival. We had the forms filled out along with our $50/person for each country ($200 total for the 2 of us). We waited about 30 minutes in Kenya (walk quickly when you deplane to the area in order to be closer to the front of the line) and had no wait upon arrival in Kilimanjaro. We brought extra passport photos, but did not need them. It really wasn't a hassle at all doing it upon arrival.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Very Helpful - THanks all. Since there is a Kenyan Embassy here in LA and since we arrive late in the evening perhaps I'll do Kenya here and Tanzania when we cross the border.

Sandi - thanks for the suggestion of downloading the forms and filling out ahead of time - very expediant.

Carol
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 11:29 AM

Recently returned from Kenya. Got VISA at airport. Have $50. It took maybe 20 mins to get through.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 01:31 PM
bat

csuss:
I think that your idea about doing the Kenya visa in LA is a good idea because of the late arrival. Friends picked up their TZ visa in D.C. and were glad that they had because of the line for visas at the airport.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Carol (csuss)
You may obtain visas on arrival for Kenya and Tanzania, but it is safer to obtain them here and have them stamped in your passport and "KNOW" you will pay only the $50.00 each. It is safer than arriving and being overcharged, or told you need further paperwork.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 07:55 PM

We traveled to Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania in October of this year and had no problem obtaining visas in any of these countries upon arrival. We did have applications completed but were only asked for these in Kenya. We arrived into Entebbe, Uganda at 10:30pm and had no problem. The longest wait was no more than 20 minutes.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 04:24 AM
sandi

The only paperwork you need if obtaining on arrival is the completed for and yur USD$50 (no photos required)

If obtaining while in the States, the completed application, 2-passport-size photos is all you need. It is suggested you also submit a copy of your itinerary on the letterhead of your tour operator or a letter from them that you are traveling under their auspices... but of late, this hasn't been a "must have."

Whether you obtain your visas in the States or in-country (Kenya or Tanzania) - both are easy and quick. It's your choice.

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 05:35 AM
bat

If going in person I would recommend taking proof of air tickets and something from a tour operator based on the experience of my friends since past summer at the TZ embassy in Washington D.C.

The on-line form has this langugage: "Provide proof of purchasee of ticket to and from Tanzania. Also provide proof of having sufficient funds to maintain the applicant while in Tanzania."

My friends started to get turned away by the "gatekeeper" secretary who told them they needed proof of financial standing--suggesting they needed a letter from a banker. The husband started to get annoyed but the wife stopped him and spoke very nicely to the woman about not knowing they needed it and telling her the name of the company they were using (Roy's) and having made a special trip to D.C. to get the visas etc. The secretary finally relented and took their paperwork to the appropriate office and they picked up the visas later that day.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:02 AM
bat

FYI for anyone planning to pick up a TZ visa at the D.C. Embassy

Apparently the TZ embassy in D.C. is requiring proof of air tickets and proof from a tour operator that a pre-paid trip has been paid. I just called the embassy because we are planning to pick up our visas on a trip to D. C. in Dec. I asked if I needed anything other than my passport and photos and was told the above (I did not ask what I would need if I was not going on a pre-paid trip).

She also would not promise me same day service--expedited service is pick up at 4pm the following business day. I told her that my friends had been able to receive their visas on the same day. She indicated that they won't promise it--depends on their workload that day.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Every story is different! I plan to go to the Kenyan Embassy here in LA after the holidays so I will let you all know what my experience there is like.

Thanks all - Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Carol
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 09:54 AM

FYI - we're going to be crossing the Kenya/Tanz border (so not arriving at an airport) and our travel agent said that it's best to take care of the visas ahead of time.

I sent our passports to the Tanzanian Mission to the United Nations in New York. They received them yesterday morning and processed them in ONE day. Completely painless.

http://tanzania-un.org/index.asp?pgid=74
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 10:13 AM
bat

toshi:
Did they have you send any documentation about your trip? (tour operator, pre-paid, etc)
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Nope - no yellow fever vaccination proof either.

The requirements may differ for DC - I called them to confirm if the yellow fever certificate was required and they were somewhat rude so I decided to call New York instead.

The folks in New York told me to send just the application, a passport picture, $50 and passport.

I forgot to mention that our travel agent said we should take care of it ahead of time because we're traveling over Christmas/New Year's.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 11:05 AM
bat

I am beginning to believe that there is a pattern to the D.C. embassy of less than cordial. Rude to my friends, certainly cold if not rude to me, and rude to you. We will go to D.C. anyway because we have a trip scheduled anyway, won't be in NY before our TZ trip and prefer not to mail the passports.
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Hi,
Due to a time crunch and advise, I'll be getting my visas upon entry.
I'm wondering about the particulars (are the forms passed out on the in flying airplane or do I need to download from embassy) and what fees should I expect to pay at each gateway.

USA - JRO
Serengeti - Arusha - Nairobi (not sure if it's NBO, commuter plane)
NBO - 1 overnight - Victoria, Mahe Seychelles
V.Mahe - NBO (will leave airport for dinner)- Amsterdam (will leave for lunch) - USA

Any help is appreciated.
Sherry

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Sherry,
We didn't need the application form for Tanzania just a landing card. I believe KLM will have them on the flight (Precision Air didn't), if not they're on the counters as you walk into the airport before the visa desk. The visa costs $50.

For Kenya, you do need both the application form and landing card if arriving at NBO. I assume it's the same for Wilson? You can print the visa form from the Kenyan embassy website. You'll get the landing card on board or at the airport. A transit visa for Kenya costs $20 if you qualify (I believe you would in both instances). Otherwise the regular one costs $50. You would need to get a second visa on your return to NBO if leaving the airport.

I don't know what the visa requirements/costs are for the Seychelles.

The good thing is, assuming you're a US passport holder, you won't need a visa at AMS!
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 01:28 PM

Sherry, I think you also will need to pay cash, $50 USD. Jack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -