Search

Tanzania Photography

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanzania Photography

As the name says, I'm brand new to this and will be going on our first safari to Tanzania in late July and August. We've booked our itinerary, and I'm now turning my attention to such matters as what to take with us, etc. Foremost is deciding what photographic gear to take, and I thought it prudent to ask those of you who've "been there, done that" several questions:

1. Will most of the better game sighting opportunities be in the early morning and later in the afternoon, as opposed to the middle of the day? (If so, that will put a premium on cameras that work well in lower light situations.)

2. Will most of the [individual] animal sightings be in shade or in the open or an equal mix of both?

3. Will most of the [individual] animal sightings be at some distance from the vehicle? If so, what will typical distances be? Will a 400mm lens (35mm equivalent) be sufficient?

4. On our game drives, will we be taking most of our pictures/videos from within the vehicle or will we have opportunities to get out and take pictures/videos while walking around? Note: we are two couples traveling together, so we'll have some "control" of each day's itinerary -- e.g., when and how long we stop.

5. I understand the use of beanbags in the vehicle, but will it be practical/possible to use a monopod or small tripod in the vehicle?

I appreciate answers to any of these rather general questions, as they will help guide me as to what to expect and what to bring.

-- Bill
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM

NeophyteBill:

1. Yes, often best sightings are early and later in the day, especially when it gets hot during the day and animals go to ground. As such, many safari camps will conduct game drives in the morning, getting you back for lunch, and in the afternoon starting around 3-4 pm. And yes, many good shots will occur in lower light situations (cloudy days, animals in shade, early dawn, late dusk).

2. Sightings can happen in the open or in shade, so it's best to be prepared, especially for the latter where camera-shake becomes an issue. I've had shots become available under just about all conditions. But even in very dim situations I don't use flash just so the animals aren't bothered.

3. I usually recommend a lens going to at least 300mm. I've been using 70-200 and 100-400 IS lenses for most shots, with the 100-400 getting the better part. Some people prefer the fixed focal length but I'm usually afraid of missing a shot in case we get a bit too close for the lens.

4. Most of your shots will come from in the vehicle. At times you will stop for nature-is-calling or for a bite to eat. Those are usually not the best times for wildlife shots because drivers will want to make sure you're safe by checking nothing's around to hurt you.

5. I'm a big fan of beanbags and always have one with me. In some very low-light situations the bags have ensured that I come away with some 'keepers.' I've only very occasionally seen others with monopods, but some of those say it helped them. Full-sized tripods are out on shared safari vehicles. If you're in a private vehicle I suppose you could try to set one up. Some photographers have some elaborate clamps with ball heads that attach to the vehicle. I've decided against monopods and tripods in part because they can add some significant weight to the over all luggage.

Good luck---you have a great time ahead of you! Steve
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 09:04 AM

Steve's responses are all spot-on. You may find that you will do an all-day game drive, too, taking along a picnic lunch. At that time of year, you may have some cloud cover, so be prepared for all types of light.

To cut down on weight, find out from your outfitter if they can supply beanbags for your vehicle. If not, take along an empty beanbag and fill it before leaving Arusha. Most safari vehicles in East Africa are enclosed, with roof hatches. You'll stand up on the seats and shoot out of the hatch. As such, a monopod or tripod won't be of much help. Some of the vehicles have luggage rack railings on the roof and that's where some photographers attach the clamps that Steve is talking about. The only problem I see with that is being set up to take a photo in one direction, and suddenly have something happening in the opposite direction. I'd say to just hand-hold your camera or use the beanbag. I've used a gorillapod on occasion in low light situations. It's fairly quick to set up and move.

You may have an opportunity to walk, but most wildlife will be at a distance, if you see any at all. The idea is to see the less obvious things, such as plants, tracks, etc. On game drives, the wildlife can be at a distance or right next to your vehicle. I found that having two camera bodies was helpful, one with the zoom telephoto and the other with a wide-angle to normal/telephoto. Also, if one camera body has a problem, you've got a backup.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM

Just remembered a funny fact/thing about a major safari outfitter (infamous here for land disputes and what not ) has outdated vehicles and their roof racks are loaded with clients' luggage instead of having space in the back of the vehicle. Ask about this in advance else you will lose some viewing angles while standing up. And to that safari outfitter, buy some stretch vehicles, please !
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 11:30 AM

And, OP, predicting animal sightings/positions/locations is like playing Lotto. All my Cheetah hunts have happened in the 12-4pm timeframe...bad light, great moments !
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Steve & ShayTay, Thanks for the responses. You've answered my questions completely and "focused" my priorities, starting with low-light performance. I may still take a lightweight monopod, because it's less than a pound and collapses to 12 inches, but I'll wait until I've gathered everything together to see how much I'll have in my daypack.

TigerPhotog, I'm already locked in with my outfitter, but to which outfitter are you referring?
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 12:03 PM

You might find the monopod handy for sunrises, sunsets, photos of your tent interiors, etc. By all means, if it's lightweight and small, take it! I think Steve is referring to Thomson Safaris. The only time the luggage would be on the roof is when they are traveling between camps and lodges. Of course, that can be a game drive, too (going into the Serengeti, for instance.) When you get in the vehicle, get ready: kick off your shoes if you'll be standing on the seats to look out the hatch, have your camera gear out and ready, etc. You never know when and where you'll see something. That's the fun of safari!
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Bill-

Be prepared for the time of your life! Here are some answers to your original questions:

1) I have found most of my best sightings to be in the first few hours of the day, and then some excellent ones later on in the afternoon. Midday shooting opportunities can happen, but more often than not the subjects aren't doing anything interesting. Add to that the light is just too harsh for anything award winning. With that being said, this is a vacation and if you just want to be out there with the wildlife even when the light is bad, you can get some great memories that way.

2) In northern Tanzania I have found most subjects to be out in the open and without shade, but this always depends on how much available shade there is to begin with. The southern part of the Serengeti isn't rich with tall trees, and shade opportunities are at a premium. Ngorongoro is a similar situation.

3) I always tell people to bring more lens than they think they need. Yes, 400mm is a great place to start! Bring as much lens as you can afford financially, as well as from a weight and size standpoint.

4) This really depends on where you are. Some parks allow you very few places to get out and walk, and others you will have more leeway. Most of your shots will come from within the vehicle, though.

5) Definitely bean bags are the best way to stabilize your camera equipment. I prefer to use the Kinesis Safari Sack, and you can get them with buckwheat husks, which are lightweight.

http://www.kgear.com/store/index.php/r.html

A monopod isn't worthwhile, in my opinion, as you won't be able to use it in the vehicle. A tripod can be helpful if you are interested in things like star trails and low light shooting of your came surroundings, but it still has limited use.

I hope this helps!

TigerPhotog, if you are referring to Thomson, they were the first company to be using stretch vehicles in the Serengeti! They do have room in the back of the vehicles for luggage, just like all other vehicles out there. You just have to make sure when moving camps to ask that your gear goes in the back (100% of it), which isn't a big deal at all.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 06:00 PM

You've gotten lots of good info.

#4. Around your camp/lodge there will be photo opportunties and it is in this location your monopod might come in handy. More so than in the vehicle. You can ask staff members to alert you if the see something walk or fly into camp that would make a good subject.
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 05:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Another vote for a bean bag in the vehicle and a tripod at camp. For my beanbag I traveled to Tanzania with an empty stuff sack and some plastic bags. Upon arrival I bought some rice at a market, filled the plastic bag and then put that in the stuff sack. Work great as far as I'm concerned. Then we gave the rice away at the end of the trip.

I had a 100-300mm zoom, which, in general, worked fine for animal photos, but was not quite enough for birds. Some of my favorite shots are not fully zoomed in on the animals, but also include parts of the surrounding area.
Old Feb 17th, 2011, 10:29 PM

Another concern is the dust factor.You'll need to protect your camera,especially while changing lenses.Take cleaning equipment(I used a hair blower-Cold air ).Preferably a dust proof (I know 100% dust-proof not possible) bag.Get used to (practice)changing lenses,without visual aid.Clean once back in camp.Get it serviced once back home.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 03:58 AM

Something I've learned in three safaris is to avoid the compulsion to just take big photos of animal X, Y and Z. You'll want plenty of those, but look also for opportunities to incorporate other animals, trees, geography, or anything else around or behind to tell a bigger story. Or just take landscape shots to build help others understand the setting of each park/area. Pay attention to the "rule of thirds" in setting up shots.

I take the biggest photos (pixel-wise) that I can. Makes for monster photo files, but you can save things and (given a steady shot) pull things in to make up for the telephoto lens you can affords.

I use a monopod and a bean bag, sometimes the latter alone and other times to stabilize the monopod in the truck. Many scoff at the lowly monopod, but I find it very useful (and you can get a decent one cheap). I'm big and I can use the monopod to shoot through the side window for low shots from the truck.

Most important is to wait for the driver/guide to turn off the engine. If you are on private safari, this shouldn't be an issue. If you are in a truck with a bunch of others (yikes!), I don't know how this works sighting to sighting.

Jim.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 05:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
<i>2. Will most of the [individual] animal sightings be in shade or in the open or an equal mix of both?</i>

Not to start a photo-religious war, but since the answer to that question is both, sometimes together, then consider shooting RAW instead of, or in addition to, JPEG. Most DSLRs allow you to do both.

Yes, you do have to post process them and they eat memory, but extra dynamic range available in RAW can make a huge difference.

On my first trip with a digital camera (to Scotland in 2006) I now rue the decision to shoot JPEG only. If you Google RAW vs. JPEG you'll get more information than you ever wanted. (Apologize if you already know all this).
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 05:24 AM

Inquest is correct about the dust issue. Some travelers take a pillowcase and use that to protect their gear. I have a neoprene Zing camera cover and keep my camera in that when I'm not shooting. Again, two camera bodies will alleviate the need to change lenses. It doesn't have to be "high-end"; you can usually get a reasonably priced one that is used or refurbished. Most guides I've had are sensitive to the needs of photographes and shut off the engine immediately after positioning the vehicle for photos. If, however, you get one that isn't doing what you want from a photographic standpoint, talk to them.
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 05:34 AM

Regarding the dust issue, it's good to bring along at least a hurricane blower or air blaster. If you notice dust on the sensor, a few blows might solve the problem. Prior to going to Namibia, without question the dustiest place I've been on safari, I bought the Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly and Sensor Loupe. They were a tad on the pricey side but together they did an excellent job keeping my sensor clean. The Arctic Butterfly is easy to use and The Loupe gives a great view of the sensor.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 10:57 AM

Neophyte Bill

Looks like a while since any new posts.

I did want to throw in, don't overlook taking photos out the side windows, not just standing on the seats shooting down. Some of the best photos I have taken there are out the window. The perspective and size of the animals are better. Also, it allows you to rest your elbows on your knees for stability. I used to shoot with a Canon 70-300 but now use the 100-400. That added length is fantastic.

I'd be curious as to which monopod you have when you said, "I may still take a lightweight monopod, because it's less than a pound and collapses to 12 inches". I'm debating on taking mine in May but it is heavier.

Polarizer filters also come in handy on those days should you be out in the sun and something great happens by. I take 2 DSLRs, keeping an 18-135 on one and the 100-400 on the other. That way, no dust inside. This time I'm actually taking a small point and shoot to take some video. I got the Canon T2i to be able to take video, but it is still not as clear as I can get with the smaller camera.
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 12:16 PM

Just got back (Mar 3) from two weeks safari Tanzania. Monopods in those pop-top vehicles will be most awkward to use. Bean bags are best. Take bags empty and buy beans there.

I found the early morning, at sunrise and next three hours to be best for viewing. So,you may have to take a box breakfast with you on game drive. Having the lodges breakfast buffet at 8am is already too late in the day to then go out !! (This separates the photographers from the snapshot shooters). For instance, at 8am the lions will still be feeding on last nights kill. On the afternoon, 4pm, game drive the lions will be sleeping.

Re the RAW or JPG thing, depends, if you are not now conversant with Photoshop and -enjoy- tweaking your photos for color, white balance, cropping, cloning, etc, then forget RAW. Set your camera up for jpg images that please you.

regards - tom
Old Mar 29th, 2011, 07:35 PM

Neophyte Bill,

I second the suggestion to shoot RAW. I took a superzoom style camera, a Lumix FZ18, to TZ in 2008. I shot most everything in RAW and was able to make some great pictures out of pretty good ones using Lightroom. Notice I didn't claim "award winning" photos. . Lightroom is pretty easy to figure out and Adobe has some excellent video tutorials. BTW, it's non-denominational and works on both Mac and Windows. You're going to have a great trip!
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 04:35 AM

Thanks a lot Laurie52 for reviving this post- I had seen it when I was planning my trip and wanted to refer to this for some equipment related queries. I will just do it here so it can be a continuation of the same thread.

Guys, I am looking at support gear and other accessories for a Tanzania as well as Bots trip this year. My final camera/lens equipment are a 5D & a 7D and a 16-35, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II and the 100-400. I will not take the ultra wide zoom for either of the trips ( wise decision?). I have a 190xb tripod for 4-5 yrs but I think I should upgrade to a much lighter one. My questions are

1.) Re bean bag does anyone advise or have used and have comments on the Apex Bean Bag? It is 5 times the price of the Kinesis sack and 30-40 USD more than the skimmer sack but comes with a plate and the horseshoe shape looks very multipurpose? Can such a bean bag be more functional for the Southern Africa type of vehicles, i.e the horse shoe part can be 'fixed' over the row bars?

2.) Re Botswana, I have a private vehicle at most camps except one ( partly because of photography and partly I wanted to do this trip on my own)- Can I avoid the Monopod ( which I have never used) and go with the same combination of beanbag + tripod as I am thinking for Tanzania? Because I am going to Vic Falls and I have a weakness for sunset and sunrise shots and landscapes, its very difficult to decide against taking a tripod and really need you guys to give some strong directions here!

3.) Has anyone used tripods which allow 0 to 90 degree free movement separately for each leg? Like the Gitzo Explorer? Does it have any benefit over more regular versions in open vehicles ( any practical experience here that someone can share?)(Gitzo 1541 is around 1.12 kgs and the Explorer is around 1.85 kgs). If yes are there any reasonably priced and quality tripods similar to the Explorer that you all can recommend but doesnt come with that kind of price tag?

4.) Am I okay with a good ball head with those lens combinations or do I need to look at a Sidekick/Gimbal solution?

5.) Intuitively I feel against having any kind of window/row bar clamps/mounts as with ample space in the vehicle, a clamp would be restrictive in terms of moving it around. Any advice for/against?

6.) Filters : I have CPs and UV for each lens and some grad ND 1 from few years back. Do you guys recommend the 2 or 3 in gradND (f stops) particularly for Africa?

7.) Highest resolution Raw in a 5D would size up to 21-24 MB, At 12 megapixels probably 60-70% of that. What speed of memory card is considered high quality? I got 3 60 mbs 8 gb cards free with the equipment but then researched on the 90mbs one. Is it recommended or OTT? I do plan to shoot videos but this would be my first DSLR video shooting so zip clue!

As usual, look upto you guys for a lot of answers! I am gonna participate in two 4-day worskshops here in HK and hope to get really comfortable with my gear by the end of 2-3 months. I have done reasonably okay with aperture priority and manual modes in my old 400D and this upgrade has been something I have contemplated for some time. For the support gear and accessories I want to look at reasonable to good quality stuff but minimise collecting gear only from a Safari point of view at this stage but happy to change that based on recommendations from people who have passionately taken photos, worried about light, angle, sharpness, DoF, took less or more equipment than they required - basically any personal experiences!

PS : The 5D goes with the 70-200 and the the 7D with the 100-400? Anyone thinks to do it vice versa?

Thanks a lot again and apologies for any/all stupid questions as well as yet another long post! ( I 'll have to get some of you to edit my Trip Report)

Cheers

Anita

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -