Search

Age range on tours

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 07:53 AM
Bernice

Age range on tours

My husband and I are 30 and 28. We're planning a trip to Egypt in September. Can anyone recommend some tours (preferably very flexible or custom) which cater to the younger age groups? We want to avoid the "air conditioned motor coach" tours but we're worried that we'll miss things if we try and travel completely on our own. We are not experienced travellers. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (We also hope to scuba dive for a day or two.)

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 01:00 PM
N.J.L.

I too believe that you will miss some of the thing you should see , if you go on your own. It will also cost you more to travel independentally. If you want more flexability than a tour offers, fly over "own your own", just buying the LAND ONLY from a tour company. This way you can get your own hotel and stay a few days before you connect with your tour company. That way you can have the opportunity to swim, scubba dive, etc.. <BR>

Old May 1st, 2000, 04:08 PM
Richard

My wife and I just returned from a Gate 1 tour of Egypt. We were with two groups - we are the same age as you are (roughly)- and were quite lucky to be with people our age on both occasions. <BR> <BR>The first group was 3 couples all our age or younger and a pair of 40 something teachers. The tour guides did comment that they were expecting more participants of the "blue haired" variety. <BR> <BR>The second group we joined midway through the trip were older - 3 couples in their 70s and one younger (same age as us) Honeymooning couple from Colorado. <BR> <BR>The tour was fast paced for the older folks, sometimes they lagged behind and definitely packed in an itenerary that was the right pace for younger couples (there is simply too much to see in Egypt). Review here if you're interested: <BR> <BR>http://www.epinions.com/trvl-review-...3904662B-prod5 <BR> <BR>The Gate1 trip we actually went on is here: <BR> <BR>http://www.gate1travel.com/destinati...0/EG99p10.html <BR> <BR>Also I've posted a travelogue with pictures from our trip here if you're interested: <BR> <BR>http://www.geocities.com/rihallix/egypt.html <BR> <BR>Most tours are along the Nile. These are not coach holidays, you fly between Cairo, Aswan and Abu Simbel and cruise from Aswan to Luxor on a boat. The mix of people on the boats was quite a spread.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 09:42 AM
mjdzv

Hi, <BR> <BR>Ok, I read your message and thought of my friend and I when we were planning our trip. We just returned so here is what I think! <BR> <BR>Ok, this is all depending on your budget and what you want to see. First, read several books and make a list of what you want to see in order of importance. We did not do the Nile cruise thing, so i can not comment on that other than I am glad. Also, we did not go to Aswan. We only had one week and wanted to enjoy the Red Sea. <BR> <BR>Next, pick a city inwhich you want to stay the most. we chose Hurghada. Buy a package that includes air, hotel, transfers and meals. From (in egypt) there you can buy tours to the places you want to go. You can either go by land or by air. We were going to go by air until we decided we wanted to see the land. I am very happy we did this even those it is long and uncomfortable. <BR> <BR>Tour companies on the web show airfare of about $128 one way from hurghada to cairo. I also checked this at the airport. We told the travel guy in the hotel we wanted small tours and that is what we recieved with a guide.We went to Luxor and Cairo by mini bus, a small TOUR! You can even go just by yourselves with a driver and guide for around 200-400$. Bargain is the word! <BR> <BR>The sites along the Nile by the Luxor are so interessting, mud huts, bamboo huts, banana trees, palms and you will see the how the sand turns into lush ground. <BR> <BR>We saw everything we wanted this way and like you did not want to go on a schedule. Give a list of things you want to see to the travel person and tell them this is EXACTLY waht you want. <BR> <BR>I would not recomment going with a big group, again very contrary to most. only my opinion. Better yet, read up a lot and just hire a driver from a travel agent in a hotel and the price will come down. Then they can take you from place to place and you can go at your own speed. <BR> <BR>For 4 outings/tours we paid 160$ which included Cairo, Luxor, safari outside of Hurghada and a day on the Red Sea. Bargain!!!!!!! hard with the travel agent. <BR> <BR>Our tour for air, hotel etc was from Sunsnacks Tours in Belguim. It was $590 per person at a 5 star hotel. If you are coming from the US, maybe fly into Brussels and stay the night and then fly out with Sunsnacks. You can probably find could rates to Brussles from the US, i notice a few here and there. <BR> <BR>ok, sorry this is long winded...I just had a great time in Egypt and want to help anyone headed that way! <BR> <BR>Have fun, <BR>MJD

Old May 3rd, 2000, 09:35 AM
Bernice

Thank you all for your replys. We aren't travelling until September so I will keep checking back for any more insights.