Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Suggestions on Short Safari for Single Woman?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,
I'd like to go on a 5- to 7-day safari in May. I won't be traveling with anyone. I can travel anywhere within Africa, but am leaning toward S. Africa or Botswana. Any suggestions on tour operators, local travel agents or lodges? I don't need airfare (have frequent flyer miles). I'd like to stay in relatively comfortable surroundings, but ultra luxury is not necessary. Please help!
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 08:04 AM
sandi

That's an awful long air flight for just 5-7 days, but that said there are a few tour operators in South Africa you might want to check:

www.go2africa.com
www.pulsetravel.com or pulsetours.com*

(*sorry not sure, but you can do a "search" on this board and both should come up).

another site that provide lots of good information is:

www.e-gnu.com

do realize that at a single traveller you're likely to be hit with the single supplement, though many of the hi-end accom. might not charge it.

Botswana is often more expensive, but depends on whether you travel to the Delta area, or to Chobe only.

And while you do have freq.flyer miles for flight to/fr JNB, you're likely to have to take internal flights from JNB to Botswana or Victoria Falls or to the camps in the Kruger area. With some luck you might be able to use FF miles on some of these.

Once you receive info from the above sites, you can come back here with questions.

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 08:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I went to two camps in Aug2003 - one in South Africa and one in Botswana and had an excellent time. I was in a private vehicle to get between Joberg and the camps but there was an airport at the camp in Botswana. Mashatu is the name of the camp.

Do a search for "pictures from trip" and look for the one that says pictures from trip and you'll see my trip report and link to photos. (The first link you come across doesn't work so look for a second link.)

If you look at a map, Mashatu is in the triangle of land formed by the borders of Zimbabwe, Botswana and SA. You can see their website at http://mashatu.com/reserve.htm
They quote their rates and the single supplement as mentioned by Sandi. I would try to get the supplement waived where ever you stay since the camps are not all full. The worst that could happen is that they say no.

I would not hesitate to recommend the tented camp at Mashatu.

Good Luck!
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 09:11 AM
PCHsmiles

Srgogurl, for either SA or Botswana, you can contact the presidents of these two firms (each is from SA and very expert in either country): Fish Eagles in Houston, TX, and Karell Travel in Coral Gables, FL. They can suggest lodges, flights, transfers, etc. in depth. Each is 100% reliable. You can handle it all over the telepehone and online. Karell has access to an airline consolidator, in the event this service turns out to be needed. I've used both, and there have been zero problems!! And I'm using Fish Eagles for Botswana in '04.

Old Oct 1st, 2003, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys for the info! I plan to do more research and then come back with additional questions.