Squeezing in One More Trip to Africa in 2005

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am meeting friends in Italy in December, and before meeting them in Rome on December 30, I will be visiting Tunisia for five days (arrive Saturday, December 24, and depart for Naples on December 29, where I'll be for one day before Rome).

Tentative schedule for Tunisia is:

Day 1 -- Arrive around noon from Milan
Day 2 -- Tunis Medina and Bardo Museum
Day 3 -- El Jem (world's 3rd largest Roman colisseum) and Sousse Medina
Day 4 -- ruins at Dougga
Day 5 -- Carthage
Day 6 -- Fly to Naples

I don't think I've seen any Tunisia trip reports or other info on this forum, but if anyone has any info, that would be welcome.

Michael
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Not been but there's a lot of stuff on Tunisia on Virtual Tourist.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...e-Tunisia.html

This link is to the overview page for the country and has further links to reports and photos from other travellers.

Have a good trip!
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 03:13 PM

Michael,

Sounds like a great time and the weather, I would think, should be very nice in Tunisia.

Where are you staying while in Tunisia?

How long a flight is it between Milan and and Tunisia?

Have you bought a digital camera yet or are you still shooting w/ film? I would love to see some photos of Tunisia if you get a chance to post them later.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Kavey, thanks for the link -- I wasn't aware of that website, and it looks like a great resource. I'll need more time to explore it. (By the way, The Fat Duck is great, but extremely pricey and a bit too strange to be visited regularly -- lunch was also five hours long, from 12:30 to 5:30).

Rocco, the weather should be in the 60s, which is great for sightseeing, and since its not beach weather, the place shouldn't be overrun with tourists (I was in Sicily and Malta over Christmas week 2002 and the weather was perfect, and Tunisia should be even a bit warmer). For a beach destination, like Sicily, Malta or Tunisia, I much prefer off season visits since the crowds are smaller and the weather is still nice for walking around (we have plenty of beaches near NY, so I tend to avoide "beach vacations" overseas, other than a day or two squeezed in from time to time, and other than short weekend trips to the Caribbean in the dead of NY winter, for tennis and golf). I'm staying in Tunis and doing daytrips since my trip is short and I don't want to shuttle luggage around -- also, the sights I want to visit are within an hour or two of the capital. Milan to Tunis is around 2 hours, so its within easy reach of Italy. And, still shooting film, but I'll have a CD made of photos, as I did with photos of polar bears from Churchill, Manitoba.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 09:42 AM

VT has some GREAT stuff on it - unfortunately it CAN take time to sort through some of the dross to find it. However, I usually find if I search by destination that the most popular VT sites listed are pretty good - they are voted by other VT users and there's an element of popularity contest/ cliqueyness but overall, the popular ones deserve to be.

I didn't realise everyone here didn't know about the site so I'll post in a separate thread about it.

Thanks for the report on the Fat Duck - that's what I've heard from others too. I'm game to try any of the weird concoctions but none of my friends or family are quite as adventurous in their eating habits as I am and I wouldn't want to spend that much money on a meal without my nearest and dearest!