Cuenca and the Southern Highlands Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Plan Your Cuenca and the Southern Highlands Vacation
The less-visited Southern Highlands deserve a more prominent spot on travel itineraries. Cuenca, Ecuador's third largest city, with a collection of colonial architecture that comes close to rivaling Quito's, serves as the gateway to this region. Indigenous ruins in the vicinity are a reminder that Cuenca was the second largest city in the Inca empire, surpassed only by Cusco, in Peru.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Cuenca and the Southern Highlands restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Cuenca and the Southern Highlands
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
Now66° F Rain 54% Humidity March 13, 2014 at 5:00PM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just returned from a 7-day all too short trip to northwest Ecuador with my wife and daughter. Read more
I’ve wanted to visit Ecuador for a few years now – friends had recommended it so it was on my radar for a while. Read more