- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Copiapó was officially founded in 1744 by Don Francisco Cortés, who called it Villa San Francisco de La Selva. Originally a tambo, or resting place, Copiapó was where Diego de Almagro recuperated after his grueling journey south from Peru in 1535. The 19th-century silver strikes solidified Copiapó's status as an important city in the region. The town has a lovely central park, Plaza Prat, lined with 100-year-old pepper trees.
Copiapó at a Glance
Elsewhere in El Norte Chico
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's