- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Buenos Aires
Estadio Boca Juniors
Estadio Boca Juniors Review
Walls exploding with huge, vibrant murals of insurgent workers, famous inhabitants of La Boca, and fútbol greats splashed in blue and gold let you know that the Estadio Boca Juniors is at hand. The stadium that's also known as La Bombonera (meaning candy box, supposedly because the fans' singing reverberates as it would inside a candy tin) is the home of Argentina's most popular club. Boca Juniors' history is completely tied to the port neighborhood. The nickname, xeneizes, is a mangling of genovés (Genovese), reflecting the origins of most immigrants to the Boca area. Blue and gold bedeck the stadium's fiercely banked seating.
Inside the stadium is El Museo de la Pasión Boquense (The Museum of Boca Passion), a modern, two-floor space that chronicles Boca's rise from neighborhood club in 1905 to its current position as one of the world's best teams. Trophies, videos, shirts, match histories, and a hall of fame make up the rest of the circuit, together with a huge mural of Maradona, Boca's most beloved player.
The extensive stadium tour is worth the extra money. Lighthearted guides take you all over the stands as well as to press boxes, locker rooms, underground tunnels, and the emerald grass of the field itself.
- Address: Brandsen 805, at del Valle Iberlucea La Boca, Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires C1161AAQ | Map It
- Phone: 11/4309–4700 stadium; 11/4362–1100 museum
- Cost: Museum: 35 pesos. Museum and stadium: 50 pesos
- Hours: Museum daily 11–6 except when Boca plays at home; stadium tours hourly 11–5; English usually available, call ahead
- Website: www.museoboquense.com
- Location: Buenos Aires
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hopefully we will get a chance to post a more formal trip report later however I thought I'd post a few initial details. Read more
Thank you to everyone who posted reports and answered my questions over the past year in planning this trip.
Our story: We are a mature, newly retired Canadian couple who are well travelled and spending Read more
I'm looking to spend 3 weeks in SA. Read more
· News & Features
Uncovering the best Buenos Aires spots for culinary indulgence demands some well-vetted guidance. ... Read more
Carmelo offers golden riverfront beaches, rich cultural offerings, an up-and-coming wine region, and more.... Read more
The options for taking on tango in Buenos Aires can be downright overwhelming, so we've done the legwork... Read more