- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Breakers Review
The 70-room summer estate of Cornelius Vanderbilt II, president of the New York Central Railroad, was built in 1895. Architect Richard Morris Hunt modeled the four-story residence after the 16th-century Italian Renaissance palaces. This mansion is not only big but grand—be sure to look for the sculpted figures tucked above the pillars. The interior includes rare marble, alabaster and gilded rooms, with open-air terraces revealing magnificent ocean views. Noteworthy are a blue marble fireplace, rose alabaster pillars in the dining room, and a porch with a mosaic ceiling that took Italian artisans six months, lying on their backs, to install.
- Address: 44 Ochre Point Ave., Newport, RI 02809 | Map It
- Phone: 401/847–1000
- Cost: $19.50
- Hours: Jan.–mid-Mar., daily 10–5; mid-March–June, daily 9–6; July–Labor Day, daily 9–7; Sept.–mid-Nov. daily 9–6; mid-Nov.–early Jan., daily 9–5.
- Website: www.newportmansions.org
- Location: Newport
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
JetBlue had a special of $97 RT from Houston to Boston, so I jumped on it! Read more
Thanks for everyone's help on my few postings. Read more
In August 2014 (13th-17th) a couple of friends are taking a girls road trip up North, we are all in our early 30s. Read more
· News & Features
It's easy to say that going to a hot destination in the off season will save you money, but the questio ... Read more
It's a good bet that when summer reaches sticky hot temps, you start hankering for a toes-in-the-sand... Read more
A new shore-side hotel opened earlier this month in chic Newport, Rhode Island offering everything from... Read more