- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New York City 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Governors Island Review
Governors Island is open to the public from May to October: get there via a short, free ferry ride. It's essentially a big, charming park that looks like a small New England town—it's popular with locals for biking and running trails, festivals, art shows, concerts, and family programs. Wouter Van Twiller, a representative for Holland, supposedly purchased the island for his private use, in 1637, from Native Americans for two ax heads, a string of beads, and a handful of nails. It was confiscated by the Dutch a year later, and for the next decade its ownership switched back and forth between the Dutch and British until the Brits gained firm control of it in the 1670s. The island was officially named in 1784 for His Majesty's Governors, and was used by the American military until the 1960s, when the Coast Guard took it over. After their facilities were abandoned in 1995, the island was purchased by the public in 2002 and started welcoming visitors in 2003. The ferry to the island departs from the Battery Maritime Building.
- Address: Battery Maritime Building, 10 South St., for ferry Financial District, New York, NY | Map It
- Cost: Free
- Hours: June–Oct., Fri. 10–5; weekends 10–7
- Website: govisland.com
- Subway: 1 to South Ferry station; 4, 5 to Bowling Green; R to Whitehall Street.
- Location: New York Harbor
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Last February 16 we were married in NYC, so this year we did a long weekend to celebrate our first anniversary.
We stayed at the Fifth Avenue Andaz by Hyatt, which is at 41st and Fifth Avenue facing the Read more
We have visited NYC a lot over the years on business and pleasure and love it. Read more
Looking to visit the NE section of the US this summer with our teen daughters & need advice on how to plan.
We're hoping to spend 3-4 days in Boston, NYC, & Washington DC while spending a few days Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more