Dover Point was settled in 1623 by fishermen who worked Great Bay. By the end of the century, the town center had moved inland to its present location. The falls on the Cocheco River made Dover a prolific textile-mill town. Many of the brick mill buildings have been converted to restaurants and shops.
Dover at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's