Fodor's Chicago 2014
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guides for FREE!
By opening a third restaurant next door to perennial favorites Frontera Grill and Topolobampo, celeb chef Rick Bayless has taken control of this River North block. With Xoco, he's given the city the ultimate place for tortas (Mexican sandwiches) filled with spiced-up fare such as cochinita pibil (suckling pig with pickled red onions, black beans, and searing habanero salsa) and caldos, generous bowls of pozole and other Latin-inspired soups served after 3 pm. First timers shouldn't pass up the hot chocolate (available at breakfast, lunch, and dinner) made from cacao beans that are roasted and ground on the premises; a steaming cup is as rich as a chocolate bar and best consumed with a plate of hot churros. Enter around the corner on Illinois Street and join the (often long) line; orders are taken at the counter.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Where: Chicago with a friend and her pre-teen daughters When: Two days in February 2014 Why: After be... Read more
In December 2013/January 2014 my wife and I did a three week trip to the USA, with the aim of experiencing a proper North American wint... Read more