- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Maspalomas and the Southern Coast
Maspalomas is a beach resort with all the trappings, incongruously backed by empty sand dunes that resemble the Sahara. Despite beachfront overdevelopment in the town, it retains appealing stretches of isolated beach on the outskirts, as well as a bird sanctuary. Over the last decade, German tour operators, who bring masses of visitors, have helped place an emphasis on protecting the environment.
Maspalomas and the Southern Coast at a Glance
Elsewhere in Gran Canaria
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe