- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The village of Monte sits above Funchal at a height of 550 meters (1,804 feet). The cool mountain air and dramatic views made it a healthy retreat for the island’s wealthy in the mid-19th century, and today it still contains a number of upmarket quintas and luxuriant gardens.
Monte at a Glance
Elsewhere in Madeira
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's