- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos
Mosteiro dos Jerónimos Review
This UNESCO World Heritage Site is a supreme example of the Manueline style of building (named after King Dom Manuel I), which represented a marked departure from earlier Gothic architecture. Much of it is characterized by elaborate sculptural details, often with a maritime motif. João de Castilho was responsible for the southern portal, which forms the main entrance to the church: the figure on the central pillar is Henry the Navigator. Inside, the spacious interior contrasts with the riot of decoration on the six nave columns and complex latticework ceiling. This is the resting place of both explorer Vasco de Gama and national poet Luís de Camões. Don't miss the Gothic- and Renaissance-style double cloister, also designed to stunning effect by Castilho.
- Address: Praça do Império, Belém, Lisbon, 1400-206 | Map It
- Phone: 21/362–0034
- Cost: Church free, cloister €7 (free Sun. to 2), €10 combination ticket includes Torre de Belém, €13 includes Torre and Palacio de Ajuda
- Hours: May–Sept., Tues.–Sun. 10–6:30; Oct.–Apr., Tues.–Sun. 10–5:30
- Website: www.mosteirojeronimos.pt
- Location: Belém
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Lisbon April 2014
The background- Company sponsored trip so most was pre-arranged and planned for us, including:
Hotel -Pestana Palace
Flights- US Airways Atlanta to Philadelphia ; Philadelphia to Lisbon-same Read more
A big thank you to all who have contributed to the Azores forum. Read more
Hi, We are landing in Lisbon in end of May and flying back from Lisbon after 9 days.
I read lots of posts that cover lisbon and porto but we will be traveling with small kids.
We want to spend time in Libso Read more
· News & Features
Lisbon is one of the coolest European capitals. ... Read more
A sleek, new hotel has arrived in Lisbon's oldest neighborhood, Alfama.... Read more
There are many more than just eight reasons to visit Portugal at any given time, but with a sweep of rece... Read more