- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Lisbon's austere Romanesque cathedral, Sé (which stands for Sedes Episcopalis), was founded in 1150 to commemorate the defeat of the Moors three years earlier; to rub salt in the wound, the conquerors built the sanctuary on the spot where Moorish Lisbon's main mosque once stood. Note the fine rose window, and be sure to visit the 13th-century cloister and the treasure-filled sacristy, which, among other things, contains the relics of the martyr St. Vincent. According to legend, the relics were carried from the Algarve to Lisbon in a ship piloted by ravens; the saint became Lisbon's official patron.
- Address: Largo da Sé, Alfama, Lisbon, 1100-585 | Map It
- Phone: 21/8876628
- Cost: Cathedral free, cloister and sacristy €2.50
- Hours: Cathedral, daily 9–6:30; cloister, Mon.– Sat. 9–6:30, Sun. 9–11 and 2–6:30; sacristy, Mon.–Fri. 10–1 and 2–5, Sat. 10–5
- Metro: Terreiro do Paço.
- Location: The Alfama
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Historical Way and Fisherman's Trail
Great info on the web site. Read more
My film "From Flamenco to Fez” presents a 2 continent, 3 country trip to Spain, Morocco, and Portugal. Read more
I need advice on how to allocate our time outside Lisbon, in a season that may be rainy. Read more
· News & Features
Lisbon is one of the coolest European capitals. ... Read more
A sleek, new hotel has arrived in Lisbon's oldest neighborhood, Alfama.... Read more
There are many more than just eight reasons to visit Portugal at any given time, but with a sweep of rece... Read more