- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
The north coast of Holguín Province has some of eastern Cuba's finest beaches. Guardalavaca, a funny name that translates as "guard the cow," is the most famous of these. (One theory behind its name is that it was a place where cows were herded and guarded during pirate attacks.) Its biggest draws are its opportunities for sunning, swimming, sailing, and scuba diving. You'll find a handful of hotels, restaurants, and discos along a single road, behind which is a beautiful white-sand beach. You can make arrangements to participate in water sports, go horseback riding, or visit the Bahía de Naranjo aquarium through your hotel.
Guardalavaca at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Eastern Cuba
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $2499 -- Cuba 6-Nt. Vacation w/Hotels, Tours & Air, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel