- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
The north coast of Holguín Province has some of eastern Cuba's finest beaches. Guardalavaca, a funny name that translates as "guard the cow," is the most famous of these. (One theory behind its name is that it was a place where cows were herded and guarded during pirate attacks.) Its biggest draws are its opportunities for sunning, swimming, sailing, and scuba diving. You'll find a handful of hotels, restaurants, and discos along a single road, behind which is a beautiful white-sand beach. You can make arrangements to participate in water sports, go horseback riding, or visit the Bahía de Naranjo aquarium through your hotel.
Guardalavaca at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Eastern Cuba
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's