- Barkhor Tibetan Buddhism's holiest pilgrimage circuit, the Barkhor is both the heart of Old Lhasa and one of the liveliest people-watching spots in all of China.
- Potala Palace Towering over Lhasa, this impressive palace of the Dalai Lamas was once the world's tallest structure, and is still a wonder.
- Ganden Monastery The most remote of the capital's three great monasteries, Ganden offers stunning views of the Lhasa River Valley and surrounding Tibetan farmland from a height of 14,764 feet.
- Gyantse Dzong The site of fierce fighting between Tibetan and British troops in 1904, this fortress is one of the few remaining symbols of Tibetan military power.
- Everest Base Camp Stand in awe beneath the world's tallest mountain.
Need trip ideas? Check out our curated collections of destinations around the globe.More