- Barkhor Tibetan Buddhism's holiest pilgrimage circuit, the Barkhor is both the heart of Old Lhasa and one of the liveliest people-watching spots in all of China.
- Potala Palace Towering over Lhasa, this impressive palace of the Dalai Lamas was once the world's tallest structure, and is still a wonder.
- Ganden Monastery The most remote of the capital's three great monasteries, Ganden offers stunning views of the Lhasa River Valley and surrounding Tibetan farmland from a height of 14,764 feet.
- Gyantse Dzong The site of fierce fighting between Tibetan and British troops in 1904, this fortress is one of the few remaining symbols of Tibetan military power.
- Everest Base Camp Stand in awe beneath the world's tallest mountain.
Want to stay at the finest properties when you travel? Check out our annual list of the 100 best hotels in the world.More