- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Chinese Phrases
Guangzhou (also known as Canton), the capital of Guangdong Province, is both a modern boomtown and an ancient port city. This metropolis of more than 7 million people has all the expected accoutrements of a competitive, modern Chinese city: skyscrapers, heavy traffic, efficient metro, and serious crowds. Guangzhou is an old city with a long history. Exploring its riverfront, parks, temples, and markets, one is constantly reminded of the impact its irrepressible culture, language, and cuisine has made on the world.
In the early 20th century Guangzhou was a hotbed of revolutionary zeal, first as the birthplace of the movement to overthrow the last dynasty (culminating in the 1911 Revolution), and then as a battleground between Nationalists and Communists in the years leading to the 1949 Communist Revolution. Following the open-door policy of Deng Xiaoping in 1979, the port city was able to resume its role as a commercial gateway to China.
Though known for its polluted air, as most major Chinese cities can be, Guangzhou is starting to get a little cleaner. The Asian Games in 2010 spurred the city to extend the subway system, clean up ramshackle parts of the city, and institute air-pollution controls. In Guangzhou's parks, temples, winding old-quarter backstreets, restaurants, river islets, and museums, the Old City and a more refined way of life are never far away.
Guangzhou at a Glance
- Baiyun Mountain
- Bright Filial Piety Temple
- Chen Family Temple
- Guangdong Museum of Art
- The Qingping Market
- 1920 Restaurant
- Café Lounge
- Deep Anger Music Power House
- Guangdong Modern Dance Company
- Guangzhou Puppet Art Center
Elsewhere in Pearl River Delta
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Discover China! Flights to Guangzhou From 795 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- May deal: Ramada Pearl Guangzhou Fr $79+/Nt Expedia
- Book the Canton 3 Nts in May Fr $79+/Nt Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- Book the Guangdong Victory 3 Nts in May Fr $82+/Nt — $82 Expedia
- Book in Shenzhen: Save this May Fr $162+/Nt — $162 Save with Expedia, $15/night less