- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's The Complete Guide to African Safaris
Table Mountain Review
Officially one of the new 7 Wonders of Nature, Table Mountain truly is one of Southern Africa's most beautiful and impressive natural bodies. The views from its summit are awe-inspiring. The mountain rises more than 3,500 feet above the city, and its distinctive flat top is visible to sailors 65 km (40 mi) out to sea. It's possible to climb the mountain, thought it'll take two to three hours, depending on your level of fitness. There is no water along the route; you must take at least 2 liters (½ gallon) of water per person. Table Mountain can be dangerous if you're not familiar with the terrain. Many paths that look like good routes down the mountain end in treacherous cliffs. Do not underestimate this mountain. It may be in the middle of a city, but it is not a genteel town park. Wear sturdy shoes or hiking boots; always take warm clothes, such as a Windbreaker, and a mobile phone; and let someone know of your plans. Also be aware that in light of occasional muggings here, it's unwise to walk alone on the mountain. It's recommended that you travel in a group or, better yet, with a guide. Consult the staff at a Cape Town Tourism office for more guidelines. Another way to reach the summit is to take the cable car, which affords fantastic views. Cable cars depart from the Lower Cable Station, which lies on the slope of Table Mountain near its western end; the station is a long way from the city on foot, and you're better off traveling by car, taxi, or rikki.
- Address: Table Mountain Aerial Cableway, Tafelberg Rd., Cape Town, 8001
- Phone: 021/424–8181
- Cost: R205 round-trip, R105 one-way
- Hours: Daily 8:30–7:30. Hours vary. Check when you arrive. Cable car closes in strong winds.
- Website: www.tablemountain.net
- Location: Table Mountain National Park
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My husband and I just returned from a wonderful trip to South Africa, Swaziland, Zimbawe & Botswana. Read more
Just spent 34 days in South Africa - Madagascar - South Africa - Swaziland - Botswana - Namibia - and Zimbabwe - traveled over 4,000 miles by road - took 10 flights - did the trip with the help of Jenma Read more
We now know where in SA we want to go and when (mid August to early September 2015) but need advice on best routing.
We want to stay at 2 to 3 private reserves (3 nts each) bordering Kruger (hopefully, Read more
· News & Features
Author, conservationist, and TED Talk speaker Boyd Varty shares eight top places to visit in his native ... Read more
South Africa's star city has personality and an overabundance of style.... Read more
This sunny South African city is a pleasant destination nearly any time of year.... Read more