- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Arabic Phrases
Volubilis was the capital of the Roman province of Mauritania (Land of the Moors), Rome's southwesternmost incursion into North Africa. Favored by the confluence of the Rivers Khoumane and Fertasse and surrounded by some of Morocco's most fertile plains, this site has probably been inhabited since the Neolithic era.
Volubilis's municipal street plan and distribution of public buildings are remarkably coherent examples of Roman urban planning. The floor plans of the individual houses, and especially their well-preserved mosaic floors depicting mythological scenes, provide a rare connection to the sensibilities of the Roman colonists who lived here 2,000 years ago.
If you prefer to see Volubilis on your own without a guide(less informative but more contemplative), proceed through the entrance, and make a clockwise sweep. After crossing the little bridge over the Fertasse River, climb up to the plateau's left edge, and you'll soon come across a Berber skeleton lying beside a sculpture with his head pointed east, a deliberate placement suggesting early Islamization of the Berber populace here.
Volubilis at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Fes Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Menzeh Zalagh Fr $95+/Nt Expedia
- $98 & Up: Zalagh Parc Palace 5-Star Hotel in Fes Expedia
- Book the Riad Dar Chrifa 3 Nts in May Fr $91+/Nt — $91 Expedia
- Fes Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $110+/Nt — $110 Save with Expedia, $20/night less
- Fes Savings! Book at Riad Arabesque Fr $130+/Nt — $130 Expedia