Top 10 Frank Lloyd Wright Buildings

July 28, 2011 12:00 am(10 comments) Post a comment

Prev 1 of 13 Next
Wright Home and Studio: Oak Park, Chicago

Photo Credit: hibino / flick

<p>From the street, Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio (1888&ndash;1898) may seem lacking his characteristic style. But a closer look reveals intricate stylized details and and a more dramatic sideview. Designed when he was just 22, the architect worked and lived here for 20 years. In addition to the "Birthplace of Prairie style," the Chicago neighborhood of Oak Park is also home to Wright's famed Unity Temple. </p><p><strong>Learn more:</strong> <a href="http://www.gowright.org/home-and-studio.html">Frank Lloyd Wright's Home and Studio Website</a></p>

Member Comments (7) Post a Comment

• Tony_Flury on Feb 15, 2012 at 07:52 AM

Amazed that Graycliff did not make it into the top 10 - I know the building (inside and outside) is being restored - but it is still an amazing building.

• lakisha2011 on Nov 24, 2011 at 03:30 AM

It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us http://www.suitesatsilvertowers.com

• Amy_Walters on Aug 03, 2011 at 07:23 PM

Personally, I like the Kentuck Knob estate best of the 4 Wright sites I’ve visited.

• dmk62563 on Aug 03, 2011 at 06:58 PM

The Dana Thomas House in Springfield Illinois was restored by the State of Illinois in the 80s and much original and period furniture obtained. A few blocks from the State Capitol Building and from the recently opened Abraham Lincoln Museum and Library. Well worth the time.

• northie on Aug 03, 2011 at 06:38 PM

love his work. It’s my ambition to see all his work!!! One of his buildings was just saved in Los Angeles -I believe.It’s worthwhile doing the Oak Park tour to see his range

• mcrosson on Aug 03, 2011 at 04:45 PM

While the vast majority of FLW’s work is amazing, he did the occasional cockup, too. The Marin Community Center is not only one of the UGLIEST buildings in existence, it is also one of the most idiotic layouts you’ll ever encounter, forcing people to walk nearly half a mile from one end to the other when doing simple tasks like getting parking tickets paid. I am almost positive he designed it as a joke, and the dumbkopfs in Marin bought into it lock, stock & barrel.

• theflock on Aug 01, 2011 at 06:12 PM

I’m always surprised when Florida Southern College is not mentioned when Frank Lloyd Wright’s architecture is discussed.  Florida Southern, in Lakeland, Florida, is home to the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture in the world, called “Child of the Sun”.  I attended classes in the FLW buildings and can attest that, while architecturally they may be special, he didn’t design with human comfort in mind (no restrooms in public buildings, esplanades designed to only accommodate the height-challenged…).